PumpkinKnits

Monday, November 06, 2006

Spinning and a Contest

These days I seem to be able to focus better on spinning than on knitting. Below is a mediocre photo of some rather lovely merino 2-ply sportweight, spun from Adrian's top in a colorway called "Gestures". I love these colors - mostly blues with some pinks and browns thrown in, overall effect of faded denim. Destined for a pair of socks if I can ever finish the ones on the needles now.

Below is my first spinning project on MaryJane. Kim's simply stunning merino/angora/silk combo called "Victorian Lace". Spinning on a double drive wheel is so much different than on my bobbin-led Louet. During my practice rounds with some more rustic fiber, I was able to long-draw like I was born to do it - a skill I had yet to even come close to accomplishing on the Louet. This blend from Kim still has me inching along, but the combo of the fiber and the wheel make spinning this just heaven.


There is also something special to me about spinning fibers that have been produced by someone I've met in real life, and both of these fit the bill. Thanks ladies.

**********************
Contest: Guess When the Pumpkin Pops, (a.k.a. a pool to guess this babe's birthday/time)
Prize: Winners choice:
  • 4oz (1260yds) of Zephyr wool/silk laceweight in Ebony
  • 6oz Lorna's Laces wool top in "Purple Iris" and 2 hand-dyed silk hankies from The Spinners Hill Shop
Rules: Leave a comment or send me an email (addy in sidebar) with the date and time of day (hour and minutes) that you think the PumpkinBaby will make her arrival. Closest guesser chooses from the above prizes. Entries accepted until this Thursday 11/9/06 at 11:59pm EST.

Some Info to Help your Guess:
  • My due date is Tuesday Novemeber 21st, which marks 40 weeks of pregnancy. Delivery occurs most often between week 38 and week 42. Tuesday this week marks the beginning of Week 38 for me.
  • I delivered PumpkinBoy 12 minutes into the 39th week of pregnancy, but I was medically induced (i.e didn't start labor naturally) due to pre-ecclampsia. I have no idea what my body does when left to its own devices in terms of going "early" or "late".
  • By this time in my pregnancy with PumpkinBoy, I was already developing early signs of pre-ecclampsia and was being watched closely by my doctors - I have no such symptoms to date (yee-haw!)
  • I am totally "nesting" - scrubbing tubs, cleaning every square inch of inside the fridge, MagicSponging painted woodwork, glaring at dust collecting in crevices, having uncontrollable urges to clean places that I never would dream to clean under normal circumstances. (Edited to add: I am *not* a housecleaner type - I typically quite happily live with dust bunnies and moderately grimy sinks/tubs/fixtures. I told my almost OCD-ish husband of my cleaning desires and he said "welcome to my world". I can't imagine feeling this way on a regular basis - how exhausting!)

33 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

I'm going to guess that because of your history the docs won't want you to go too far over your due date .... so, how about:

Nov. 16, 3:45P

11:11 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I'm stitcking with my Nov 11th prediction, around 3 am.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guess: November 23, 6:45 am. And whatever day Pumpkinbaby makes her grand entrance, I wish for you an uncomplicated, easy time.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Oooh, you're nesting? I think it's going to be within a week, then. I'll say 11/12 at 11:12 am.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

November 14 at 4:54 am

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the Gestures sock yarn is gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing it knit up.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Monica said...

Great colors in the Gestures yarn, will make some cool socks. Hehe, that link on nesting was very amusing. I'll go with the 16th, at just before midnight.

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

11/11/06 @ 2:46pm

12:27 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

my guess,

wednesday, november 23, at 6:30am ET.

may it be an uneventful delivery.

1:00 PM  
Blogger CjSachiko said...

My guess,

Sunday, November 26, at 4:34pm.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Sorka said...

ooooh will you ever hate me.. Mwah hahaha.. I say November 30th at 4:45 pm.. see early enough for you to order a dinner tray!!!Well okie dokie!!

My other guess would be tommorrow nov 7th at 5:45 pm.. vote early ok!!
heheh
Denise

Knitchat.com

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

November 16th is a LOVELY day to be born, especially if you come at say about 4:30 AM so your mom can eat breakfast.

Good luck to you and baby and an easy labor for both of you.

Judi

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

November 12 @ 5:45 pm - I love the Gestures sock yarn! Beautiful!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

I'll say November 15, at 2:30 AM, for no particular reason.

Good luck! Hope it's quick and easy! :-)

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That nesting instinct is traditionally a "sign"--when you go out and buy another house, let me know.
The yarn is beautiful. The pumpkinbaby is lucky to join your family. May the delivery be easy for you.
My guess is Monday, November 13 at 8 a.m. EST.
Good luck and good health.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I'm not entering the contest, just stopping by to say beautiful spinning and welcome the pumpkin sprout whenever she decides to make her grand entrance!

7:04 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

11/11 at 11:11 - why not celebrate the Armistice?

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh oh, that nesting instinct! I find it so amusing that this happens to pregnant women, probably at the time they need the most rest. Oh well, a clean house for baby is a good thing. I hope you're taking it easy between scrubbing the floors and eradicating the dust bunnies.

My guess is that PumpkinBaby's arrival will be Nov. 15th at 3:21 pm. I picked a random afternoon time in hopes that you aren't laboring all night! Keep us updated, and take care of yourself.

9:36 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

November 22, 2:45 pm.
Such a random guess. I had pre-eclampsia the first time around, too, but I hear it's much less likely to occur with subsequent pregnancies. So here's to a long (but not too long) gestation! :)

1:09 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I'm guessing November 18 around 9pm because that's my birthday:) Good luck with the last couple of weeks!

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

November 14th at 4pm is my big guess!

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

November 14th at 4pm is my big guess!

5:18 PM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

i'm gonna say november 19th, 10:27pm

6:45 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

november 17, at around 3 pm?!

good luck!

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

13 November at 3:04 a.m. EST

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

November 16th, 11:30pm

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never had pregnancy induced hypertension, but my 1st was born at 38 weeks, my 2nd I was induced for postdates at 42 and 2/7's weeks, and my 3rd I bailed early with an induction at 39 weeks. Hope the remaining time is restful and your labor and delivery quick and uneventful.

November 18th at 8:43 am is my guess on little sprouts arrival.

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm.....my guess will be Nov 20th in the evening :-)

I LOVE the way your Victorian Lace is spinning up....so pretty!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well when I had that nesting urge my babies were imminent--so I'm going to say your little pumpkin will arrive soon: the 10th, at 7 am. Hope all goes easily for both of you.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Maggie said...

November 17th 10:28 PM :)Hoping for a fast and easy delivery! :)

2:23 AM  
Blogger yarn4kalei said...

I am going to go with Nov 13 at 7:37pm. Good Luck and I wish you an easy labor!

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the many downsides of reading my Bloglines so sporadically is that I miss lots of good contest opportunities. I'm going to enter anyway. I think you'll deliver Thanksgiving Eve (November 22) at 7 p.m. Sounds like a nice time to have a baby.

My second guess (since I missed the deadline I don't have to follow the rules, right?) is that you're having the baby RIGHT NOW. :)

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

November 20th, at 7:42 am

:)
good luck!

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home