PumpkinKnits

Friday, September 22, 2006

Problem Solving - Help Me!

So, way back in May at NHSW, I picked up a measly 3.5oz of some positively stunning "Black Magic" 50% polwarth/50% mohair roving from The Spinning Bunny (sadly, she was one of the last booths I visited, and my cash was running out, hence the meager 3.5oz). I managed to spin it into the lovely fingering-weight singles you see below:

The colors in this change, ever so slowly over hundreds of yards, through one repeat of green, turquoise, deep blue, almost-black purple, brighter purple and peters out just where magenta would have started, had I been able to afford more. I got about 600 yards out of it, and my plan is to make a shawl, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding the right pattern.

I've ordered the Diamond Fantasy pattern, but I'm not convinced its the right one, although I know I have enough yardage for it. The pattern I'd really like to do is the Fan-Stitch Half-Circle Shawl from "Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls" (here is one from blog-land done in lace-weight) but I'm not sure I've got enough yardage to get anything of decent size. It is one of those handy patterns that you can just knit until you're running out of yarn, but the book is sorely lacking in specifying yardage/weight of the sample shawls, all it says for this is "...was worked with 2-ply handspun Pima cotton on size 3 needles, has finished diameter of 58 inches". I really, really do not want to start knitting and realize I'm going to end up with a shawl-ette/scarf sized thingy and have to rip it all out.

So - anyone have a good way of figuring this stuff out (this is one area where I am very weak in the knitting mojo) or have another great suggestion for a pattern?

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.

You really did that roving justice. I'm speechless. That is a beautiful skein.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Wow!!! Gorgeous yarn.

I'd go with an Evelyn Clark pattern. They are very easy to work with. I knit another FBS this summer and used not quite 600 yds of a slightly heavy laceweight to end up with a shawl that was 70 inches wide and 34 inches deep. It equalled 10 repeats of the pattern.

I'll bet you could easily upsize the Swallowtail shawl in the last IK. I used 440 yds for that and ended up with a nice sized small shawl.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Holy cow, that stuff is gorgeous!...

How about a feather-and-fan-type project, like the Icelandic one in Folk Shawls? That was basically a center-neck-down, garter stitch triangle with the occasional eyelet row to liven things up, and then an F&F edging. (There was also a similar project in Piecework a year or so ago.) The beauty of that kind of project is that you can knit as much garter as you like, and then just do the lace edging until your yarn is gone. No worries.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

No pattern suggestions...I am new on the block but have to say that the colors in that batch are beautiful and I look forward to seeing what you decide to do with it.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful yarn, look at those colors!

The shawl you linked to used something similar to Jaggerspun Zephyr, 54g or just under 2 oz. 2 oz of Zephyr is ~630 yards, so you're cutting it really close. Your yarn is heavier so, assuming you are using larger needles, it will take more yarn for each stitch, so while you'll have a larger shawl, you will probably run out. A "stop when you run out" type shawl will probably be easier.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

If you want one that you can knit until you run out I'd recommend Mim's Adamas Shawl, available at KnitPicks. Or Susan's new Forest Canopy Shawl over at I'm Knitting As Fast As I Can.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

That yarn is stunning Erin!

I have no other suggestions about shawls but stay away from garter stitch, it EATS yarn! You'll get more mileage from a stockinette based shawl than a garter one!

Can't wait to see what you choose!

2:09 AM  
Blogger Paula said...

Wow! Now That is just beautiful!

I totally suck at lace knitting, but I think your very lovely yarn would look stunning as a swallow tail shawl.
Although, really anything you make with that will be beautiful.
I can wait to see what you decide.

6:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oohhhh.......the colors in that yarn are yummy! Nancy (The Spinning Bunny), has beautiful fibers :-). I'm sure that anything knit with that yarn is going to be lovely!

7:49 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

gorgeous spinning. you already have plenty of great suggestions, i'll look forward to seeing what you decide on :-)

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful spinning! Something simple would probably show it best. I vote for F&F also.

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home