PumpkinKnits

Saturday, October 21, 2006

I May Not be at Rhinebeck

But that doesn't mean I can't enhance my spinning accoutrement.


Meet my second wheel. Its a Kromski Mazurka - I stumbled across a Craiglist post for it, bought it for a song. She is in near perfect condition (one little ding on the drive wheel and the piece that holds the distaff needs to have a crack glued up) came with all her accessories plus two extra bobbins and a tensioned lazy kate.

Her one major drawback is that she positively reeks like pot. Perhaps thats why the seller didn't realize how much he could have charged? Who knows, but he had certainly just smoked up when husband, PumpkinBoy and I drove into the city last night to get her. I think I'll name her MaryJane in his honor.

I've already spun a little bit on her (scotch tension set-up - I haven't a clue how to get double-drive working) and I like her. Not positive she'll stay with me forever, she might get resold for a profit to fund some other second wheel, but for now she's perfect - inexpensive, small, and really just an opportunity I could not pass up.

17 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

Really pretty wheel! Congrats on a good deal.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was interested in it, but didn't go for it. I am glad it went to a great home. Enjoy!

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee -- I'd keep her for the story alone. Congrats on the newest member of the spinning family!

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, what a lovely wheel! And how funny that it the smell of pot stuck with it so long. I love the double drive on my Kromski.

7:53 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Wow! And, yes, the story to go with it is a plus. :)

11:28 AM  
Blogger Fidget said...

Nice Wheel! I'm trying to resist getting one 'cause I don't need *another* obsession.

I just popped by to say Thanks for the Rogue Hood grafting cheat sheet. I'm so glad I didn't have to think through all that myself.

Thank You Thank You Thank You!

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MaryJane! Ha! I love it! So happy for you.
I'm going to bed now, I'll send you a big, long e-mail tomorrow!

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's a beauty! The name just cracks me up!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

How wonderful! I can help you with the double drive set up.

10:05 AM  
Blogger maryse said...

haha i love the story too. MJ is perfect.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Amy Davis-O'Malley said...

Hey, I just bought the same wheel about 10 days ago (my first wheel) and I love it! Enjoy!

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same wheel. Mines named Aurora, after the sleeping beauty. :)

5:23 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

I am in awe of you knitters that spin and dye and all that great stuff!!

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new wheel! MaryJane, hehe, cracks me up.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Love the name. Perfect.

6:52 AM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

maryJane—ha! i love it!

12:47 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Oh my goodness, how funny! :-) I hope your little one didn't ask any questions about the funny smell. Do you suppose a little Murphy's Oil Soap would take care of that, or is that too dangerous to put on a spinning wheel?... Anyway, enjoy! :-)

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home