PumpkinKnits

Monday, October 16, 2006

Denial

Things are slowly converging. It has finally dawned on me that:

a. We will have a new baby in this house in perhaps as little as 3 weeks, or as many as 7. Either way - that is not a whole lot of time.
b. New babies mean lots of hard work and a good amount of chaos. Watching my brother and his wife do the newborn thing has brought back some rather, shall we say vivid, memories.
c. I should probably not be spending the bulk of my remaining free time knitting or spinning or starting new projects, thinking that somehow all of the "prepare for the baby" work will just happen while I'm not looking. Perhaps I am thinking someone else will sort through the bins in the attic and pull out the baby clothes we can use this time around. Or maybe (heh - I wrote "baby" the 1st time I typed that), maybe someone else will launder all of those clothes, and then go shopping to fill in any gaps in outfitting we may have. I'm sure that my fairy godmother will drag down the box of infant toys and breast pump and bottles and clean and sort them all too.
d. Despite having outgrown much of my maternity wardrobe, it is probably a waste of time/money to buy more of them at this point. (Do not be fooled by Cheryl's recent photo of me, she must have the only camera in existence that removes bulk from the subject). Proof:


Anyway... I owe you some Po-Mo Shawl. I had it stuck in my head that I wanted a semi-circular shawl, and I finally came across what I hope will be the perfect one:

Its the Half-Pi Shawl from Rosie's Yarn Cellar. It is simple enough to let the colors of the yarn speak, and it is a decent size, despite only using about 600yards of yarn. My version (big blob) so far:

And here is a better photo of all the yarn, so you can see what the color progrssion will do:

I am very pleased, although still a tiny smidge doubtful about the size - I may need to rip and go up a needles size, I can't really tell yet though. For now I am trucking along in denial, just like I am about the baby coming!

13 Comments:

Blogger Beth S. said...

Whoa! That's some bump you've got there. ;-) But how come such a wide window for the de-bumpification? Three to seven weeks is, like, a whole month!

I really like the way your shawl is turning out. I can hardly believe that's handspun--it looks like Noro! Glad you found a good pattern for it.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

3-7 weeks to go! Wow!

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I like that half-pi shawl, good choice! Have you chosen a name yet?

2:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As you know, nature has a way of kicking us into gear with the whole nesting thing, so that "To Do" list will get done. I spent the last 2 weeks of gestation getting ready for the 2nd baby. You know that the toys, pump and bottles can wait for an additional 6 weeks after baby is born. Enjoy this time because soon there won't be any time to knit and spin. Good luck.

2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good choice!! Get all the rest that you can now :-)

5:48 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Lovely choice for a shawl. I must say I feel your pain right now - trying to knit with a 3 mo old and a 22 mo old is just this side of impossible. You look good though! I can also relate to the maternity clothes thing -- I quit measuring myself when I hit 44in around. (At only 60 tall I was quite a sight to behold!) Good luck with all of the preparations!

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Denial is a wonderful thing. Gets us through lots of life events unscathed. It'll all work out. (And appears to be a perfect coping mechanism to this uninitiated knitter.)

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're that far along? It seems like you just announced that you're pregnant! I understand the denial issue, though. I remember doing the same thing before #2 was born. I did buy baby clothes here and there, but his room wasn't ready until very close to delivery time. Maybe the nesting instinct will kick in, and you'll be inspired to deal with all of that stuff.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Well your definatly pregnant lol

I was never blessed with such a cute baby bump....your lucky!

I love the color of this yarn....absolutly beautiful!!!

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woah, belly! That's a cool shawl pattern. I thought it was you in the pic at first.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

That's going to look amazing in that yarn!

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice shawl! I've bookmarked the pattern.

Don't worry, everything WILL get done. If you buy a couple packs of onsies you can get by for the first week, during which time you can instruct your husband to do all the baby prep things you described from your spot on the couch.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're looking great in that picture. I keep flopping back and forth between slacker pregnant lady and crazy mommy dearest pregnant lady. It all will get done regardless....

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home