PumpkinKnits

Monday, September 25, 2006

Big and Little

I've been knitting lots of little things lately (Moth excluded, of course). Case in point:

Daddy Hat: the only thing Dan has ever explicitly asked me to knit for him, and I take 2 years to do it. Exact same hat and yarn as this one, just dyed the yarn navy beforehand. Unblocked, because he snatched it away and hid it once I was done (ha ha, Dan I found it!).

Baby Hat: scraps of AC Moore's version of cashmerino. Sad to say, I came across the hospital-provided hat PumpkinBoy was given at birth and was horrified at the scratchy acrylic it was made out of (but it was hand knit). I was also horrified by how freakin' small it was - are baby heads really that tiny? You'd think I'd know, but PumpkinBoy's infancy seems like such a long time ago - I have visions of picking up my newborn and hurtling her through the roof, as I am rather accustomed to the "little one" I'm lifting weighing close to 40lbs - a 7 pound baby won't even register on the scale for me mentally anymore.

That said, apart from plotting the shawl with the pretty handspun (thanks for all your good ideas - I'm still pondering and being indecisive), I really have a massive urge to knit myself a sweater. Problem is, I have no freaking clue what form my body will take post-pregnancy. Will I have the awesome nursing mom rack I did last time? How much weight will I end up keeping? I expect to permanently keep some of this added bulk, but how much? My body 3 years post-partum from PumpkinBoy (and non-pregnant) is very differently shaped than it ever used to be - I now have hips, breasts and some curves. It is so different from my pre-pregnancy incarnation that lacked all of those things. I'm guessing the changes this time around will not be so dramatic, but I still don't want to knit a whole sweater now only to find out its just never going to work for me. Perhaps I should stick to shawls and socks for now just to be safe. We'll see just how long common sense holds out against impulse.

9 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

I think it's wise to wait and see where things land, if you will. ;-)

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for you for being realistic about your body, post baby :-), and not putting pressure on yourself to pop right back into shape.

A shawl sounds nice!

11:46 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

As hard as it is, you should wait. I made the mistake of knitting myself two sweaters while I was pregnant. Both have been ripped out.

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the others. Wait to knit yourself a sweater. Unless, of course, you don't mind ripping it all out later. I knit a sweater for myself while pregnant, and never wore it because it was huge (don't ask me why, but I used my pregnant-boobs measurments for the sweater--stupid).

I know how you feel about how small babies are, though. My daughter was just over 4 lbs at birth, so when I gave birth to my son full term, I figured he would seem huge. But even at an average 7lb weight, he still seemed so tiny. But as you already know, they grow in the blink of an eye!

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband wants the same exact hat in dark Navy blue. Not done yet! (Not started yet!!)

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister used to be able to carry around my niece (40 lb?) without getting tired. Then my nephew was born and her body shifted. My niece was suddenly too heavy. You adjust fast, eh?

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend Allie just had her second. G is 2.5 and she nursed him until he was about 1 year. She said she had truly forgotten what it was like to nurse a newborn, G would do acrobatics on the boob by the time he stopped and little D was barely able to latch on!

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh, i love the two hats together!

11:08 PM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Knit yourself a nice warm shawl instead. No worries. It will always fit. ;-)

Did you solve the what-to-make-with-the-fab-handspun problem, btw?

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home