PumpkinKnits

Monday, September 04, 2006

Really Done....

First and foremost, a warning to all pregnant shawl-knitters: do not, under any circumstances, attempt to block a large lace shawl on the floor after your 6th month. A bed, you'd probably be ok, but I really wouldn't recommend all the up and down and floor skooching that is required for ground-level blocking. None of my pregnancy books warned me about that, despite hearty warnings about avoiding contact sports and boxing. (WTF!?)

Anyway, here is the Moth, blocked and wearable, I love it!
Project Specs:
Pattern: Wing of the Moth, by Anne Hanson
Yarn: Kidsilk Haze, "Hurricane" (a.k.a. "Shade 632") 3.5 balls
Needles: #6 Denise:
Notes: It measures 80" across and 37" deep, and I could have blocked it more agressively and gotten more out of it, I'm sure. I also knit it on one size smaller needles than recommended. This was my first time knitting with Kidsilk Haze and will not be my last - so soft and light, but really warm, just wonderful stuff. The pattern is very clearly written and as you can see, it is just a really spectacular combo of lace motifs that ease gracefully from one to the other, making for a stunning finished piece.


A hearty thank you to Cheryl for calling us all out for the race, I found that aspect of this project just so much fun, and to Anne for such an inspiring pattern. I am pleased to have the finished project under my belt, and my family will be pleased to be no longer neglected.

27 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

It's really beautiful. Enjoy wearing it this fall!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is spectacular. I love the color and it looks so light and airy. Congrats.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

You beat me fair and square, my dear. I am chagrined, of course, but trying to convince myself that fifth isn't *too* shameful (Beethoven's fifth, for instance, is a lot more memorable than his first... but that's about all I've been able to come up with. ;-)

You did a fabulous job on it, too. I love the celestial blue you chose.

10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY!
erin, i was SO not prepared for how beautiful it would look—i am sitting here with tears in my eyes . .. thank you for doing my design proud. it is unspeakably beautiful! that blue! and the light flowing through it.
it is as if i have never seen if before—really and truly.
ps: did you find that missing ball of yarn??

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! And extra congratulations for getting it knit and blocked; I was pretty darn lazy when I was pregnant.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's gorgeous! I absolutely love it.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Stunning.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is stunningly beautiful. A gogrgeous moth !
Hope you had a nice sit down agter all that blocking. Maybe a little nap ? ...

4:47 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Well done Erin...it's absolutely stunning!! Blocking on the floor is a chore even NOT pregnant, what were you thinking girl???

7:17 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Even more incredible after blocking! And I'm glad to know you're heeding the warnings and NOT boxing during pregnancy. LOL! That's like the books that "remind" you not to do crack while pregnant--as if pregnant crackheads would actually be reading the books and go, "Oh! I probably should give this up. . ." Crazy. :)

7:28 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

stunning!

2:14 AM  
Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Erin, congratulations from the land that gave you your name, that is absolutely stunning! Isn't Anne a genius? And aren't you too? Take it from another Leo, another English Lit graduate and another jeep driver, you are GREAT!
Jo
celticmemoryyarns.blogspot.com

5:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! Light and airy. It's such a treat seeing all the different Moths out there. There's nothing like the transformation of blocked lace!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soo pretty. I'm itching to get started on some lace after all these cotton projects are off the needles.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Erin, it's just beautiful! Well done!

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's GORGEOUS. Now I think I need another one...

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just gorgeous!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

staggering ...... it's diaphanous, and floaty, and delicate, and ..... just beautiful. Well done.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Suburban prep said...

Stunning.

4:50 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

I like your warning *grin*

It's beautiful--I love the lace pattern along the bottom.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Stunning. Breath-taking, even.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Very beautiful!!!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So lovely it gives me shivers. And I'm sure you instilled an appreciation for precision and symmetry in your unborn child through your little blocking exercise. :)

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in awed. That shawl is beautiful!

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo!! A job quite well done.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Absolutely beautiful work!

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! That turned out beautifully. Nice shot of the motifs at the bottom. I didn't realize it was so big.

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home