PumpkinKnits

Monday, January 05, 2009

Christmas Knits

I started out knitting just one Christmas gift this year - a sweater for the newest member of our family (the one who got this blanket upon his birth in September). I knit "Get Ziggy" with some Blue Sky Organic Cotton. It is a really great pattern, and might just become my go-to baby sweater. The seaming with the lap shoulders is a little tricky (I had to do it 2 or 3 times to get it right) but I love the way it looks and makes the neckline very accommodating to big-headed babies, which tend to run in our family, anyway. Here is my photo:


and here is his Mama's photo, with the cute baby included:

I made the baby sweater and mailed it off, with weeks to spare until Christmas. I was pleased, but then, the Sunday before the holiday, in what can only be described as a fit of insanity, got it stuck my head that I could and should knit really quick gifts for the 4 adult family members who were coming to our house for the big day. That left me with 4 days, 4 gifts, plus planning and prepping to host my first big holiday meal. (Thankfully, the husband heroically had dealt with all the gift shopping and wrapping so no one had to worry about that - sweet!)

The end result was this - (all are on Ravelry if you want specifics on patterns and yarn) going clockwise: hat for big brother, mittens for Dad (which don't fit, but he was ever the father and insisted that they did), an airy little scarf for Mom and neck warmer for future-SIL.

It was actually kind of fun, creating a silly, stupid challenge for myself to see if I could do it. I don't think I would do it again, but you never know - I tend to be both impulsive and stubborn which frequently results in situations like this.

Speaking of impulsive...wait until I show you what is in the mail for me. I have to wait for the beloved man in brown to arrive with it, but its either a very good thing, or a very bad thing....only time will tell.

9 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

It may have been impulsive but it all worked out well. So what did you buy?!?

10:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great things. You have a lot of stamina. I can't wait to see the impulse buy.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Those are great gifts!! So . . . wheel?!?

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A new wheel? Drum carder? Big tub for dyeing? Expensive yarn present?

Great knits all around, by the way.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely knits. I failed in my last minute Christmas knitting, but am thinking of it as a head start for next year.

Can't wait to see what the man in brown brings.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

What did you buy? I have a hard time thinking of you as impulsive ...

1:19 PM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

I was not nearly so productive in my holiday knitting. One of the items was done in the summer, but I had two socks that were mailed a day too late to arrive for the holidays (they arrived over the weekend). I still have a holiday scarf to finish, but it is a very slow going number. Of course, it would be going faster if I didn't decide that I could make something else for a little bit.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Manise said...

I know what it is *jumps up and down excitedly* ....... Hope it showed up. It will be a fun, new and good thing! Can't wait for the reveal. Great FO's btw.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I'm impressed with the accomplishment, especially since they are all different, and came out so well.

Okay, I'm in suspense now. WHat could be both good or not good??

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home