PumpkinKnits

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Playing With Plying

I've been wanting to take the time to try some new to me spinning techniques, and finally managed to do just that. The first was pretty simple - plying a bulkk/slubby single with thread. This is half of a "vintage" HelloYarn Fiber Club offering, a merino top called "Maldives", about 2.5oz/135 yards. Very easy to do - I just used plain old cotton sewing thread in a pale blue.



Next on my list was super-coils. I used this Knitty article for guidance. I spun the rest of the Maldives into an over-twisted bulky single, wound it into a ball, and started coiling with some white crochet cotton thread as the base. It took me 2 hours to make just 6 yards of yarn, but I love what I made. I have plenty of singles left so will try again, hoping practice might make things go a little quicker. My main slowdowns were the over-twisting of my base thread (needed to spend lots of time letting the trailing end untwist) and the fact that I had to hand wind the yarn onto the bobbin - I was using the Louet and her hooks, while very generously sized, still hung up the lumps and bumps.



I can totally see why people get addicted to making this kind of yarn - it is really, really fun.

8 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

I love the look of the super coils but that sounds so time consuming!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Anne P said...

Dang! THAT is some cool-looking yarn. I love your photos - the yarn looks great!! You are brave for not spinning bland 2-ply/autopilot yarn.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

That is very cool looking yarn. What would you use the coil yarn for?

12:41 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Wrap and roll! SpinOff had an article on that. Used a spindle for the base yarn....ask Cheryl.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Manise said...

Very cool! Yes, I saw the same Spin-Off article this summer.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

They look great! I'm tempted to play with these 2 techniques again. I need to remind myself that if I don't get perfect results on attempt #1, I might just need more practice!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Way cool.

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laurie's right, we learned this wrap and roll technique at Soar, where you use a spindle and the wheel at the same time! The spindle untwists the core yarn while the wheel adds twist, leaving you with a balanced core. Pretty cool stuff. Kelly's wicked good at it.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home