PumpkinKnits

Monday, December 15, 2008

Socks, Mailman Mitts and Coil Update

In a move that hasn't been accomplished in this house since 2006, I actually knit a pair of socks in less than a years time. I'm hoping this trend continues, as my handknit sock collection is being worn out faster than they can be replaced. These are Koigu, simple 4x2 rib, short row heel.

(RavLink)

My only holiday knitting this year are some mitts for my mailman. Paul is awesome. We have an old-school, out on the curb on a post mail box, and an unprotected from the elements front door. This guy routinely backs down our long, narrow gravelly driveway to deposit packages in the dry and safe garage in bad weather, and in good weather, he does the same drive and brings packages up the steps onto the deck to deposit them right at the back door. This guy actually deserves an entire sweater, now that I think about it.


My last post on the Coils had Laurie reminding me of the recent SpinOff article that teaches this technique using a spindle to counteract the supertwist that gets in the core yarn. Sadly, I have no spindle, but at the next spin night Julia was kind enought to loan me one of hers. (I have an inkling she may have more than one). I was thrilled to discover that it is SO.MUCH.EASIER. to do it this way! I finished off my singles in the time it took me to make my measly sample last time, and my end product is much more balanced than the hopelessly twisty mass from the first time. End result is 16yards/2oz of some pretty cool yarn. I think I might mix this up with the thread-plied from the same fiber and make a chunky funky scarf.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That is some cool looking yarn! And Paul does sound terrific!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Manise said...

Love your new coils! I have a nice mailman too. He'll love those mitts you made him!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

You are lucky to have such a great mailman - I'm sure he will greatly appreciate the mitts.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Your mailguy is a treasure.

The wrap and roll looks GREAT. I haven't done that yet.

Socks with nylon last longer than pure merino. So I am told.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

Those socks look great! I have to get cracking on the socks I'm working on if I hope to have them wrapped up and ready to ship on Monday (1 sock left... not so hard).

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home