PumpkinKnits

Friday, October 14, 2005

Baskets of Flowers

I've been making slow but steady progress on the flower basket shawl. I am really enjoying knitting with Claudia's handspun - watching the colors in the plies change from peachy-yellow to deep crimson to pale green, and then the added twist (pun intended) of the color combinations that appear plied together. I am also loving this pattern. Its been easy to imprint on my brain, and has a very nice rhythm to it.


this one goes to 11 Posted by Picasa


closeup (unstretched)

I am up to 11 repeats and have more than half of the yarn left! The big question will be when to stop. The current down the center measurement is 16" relaxed, but it stretches out quite readily by hand to almost 24" I would guess that blocking with pins would get me close to 26-28". As I've never worn a shawl, I'm trying to figure out what a good size would be. I'm moderately tall at 5'9" and I'm thinking I want the depth to be at least 34-36". Anybody know some guidelines?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty!!!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

In Myrna Stahlman's Shawls and Scarves she gives the following guidelines:

Small - 22 - 24 inches
Medium - 25 -28 inches
Large - 29 -32 inches

These mesurements are for Faroese type shawls so the back panel is flat vs. pointy like the FBS so I would use her guide lines but add 4 - 6 inches in total measurement to accomodate the longer "point".
Based on your height I agree, a "medium" 28 + 6 (for the point) = 34.

Hope this helps!!

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty. And I was interested to read Debi's comment -- great to know.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Micky said...

Very very pretty. Lovely work.
:)

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home