PumpkinKnits

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Exciting Weekend

A very event-full weekend, as those of you reading some other New Englander's blogs have read. Saturday was a drenching but really, really fun day at NH Sheep and Wool with Cheryl and various and sundry other bloggers. This was my first woolfest of any kind, and despite the cold and the wet, the company was so good it didn't even phase me, and cold and wet usually make me whine and whimper like a little cry baby. Highlights included:

Julia, sucumbing to the lure of a her wheel:

The blogger lunch huddle:

Faces and names I enjoyed meeting are Laurie, Kathy, Cate, Carole, Kellee, Wendy and spousal unit, Sandy (met her later, not at lunch, but, whatever), SueGene, and many many more - my brain is toast with that list already. If I missed you, please chalk it up to social ineptutude and brain freeze.

Sheep Shearing:

Two Icelandic sheepies (who knew that flash gives sheep blue-eye instead of red-eye?)

I'll post some loot photos later - I was a good girl and stuck to my budget, hitting the ATM only at the end of the day so I could drive home with some cash in my pocket and not be arrested for truancy ;-). Theme for the day was silk. I arrived home at dinner time, wet and tired from a draining drive, and Dan marched right out of the house to start dealing with this:




We actually have it pretty good, based on what I see on the news. The garage we can't do anything about other than back the car out so its not submerged, and the basement, which is ALWAYS leaky (150yo fieldstone foundations do that) has freaked Dan out enough over the years so that we had a backup sump pump on hand, which was jerry-rigged in place today. The two pumps (plus a small backup-backup pump that my brother and sister-in-law hand delivered from Plymouth today - we owe you guys big time!) have managed to keep barely ahead of the incoming flow. We've set up a baby monitior down there so Dan can wake up and check to hear it running all night instead of going downstairs every few hours.

13 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

So great to see you again! Hope the flood is cleared up soon!

8:39 PM  
Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Oh, gee, I hope you're able to manage the water and it doesn't cause damage. I'm glad you were able to enjoy the Wool Fest!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

You are braver than me. I skipped the wool fest due to rain.

Creative use of the baby monitor, too!

10:20 PM  
Blogger Pippi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dang! i wish we would have done more than a quick walk thru of the pot luck, i would have like to have met you! ~ but we had to keep moving for fear of freezing to death or wee ones gettting lost in the lakes, er, puddles... (haha! i can see the top of my babies-daddy hat in the 'lunch huddle' pic.)

bummer about your flooding! i hope you all dry out soon!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Vagrancy is still a crime on the books - glad to see you avoided it!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Yikes! Here's hoping you dry out real soon! At least you had a great time at the festival!

4:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the joys of the flooded basement. Becomes sort of the norm around here doesn't it?

I had a blast with you this weekend, thanks for not making me feel like an idiot with the buttons.

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great to see you again!

8:19 AM  
Blogger lazysaturday said...

Hi, it was nice to meet you ;-) Hope the flooding goes away soon!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

The baby monitor thing--genius. Pure genius. I cannot tell you how often I wake up at 3am and trek down to the basement to check the sump pump during bad storms.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you poor thing. Last fall Rhode Island got the brunt of the rains and our basement flooded. NOT FUN. I was sorry to hear that all you folks were getting hit so hard this time around. I really hope things dry out soon.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Is your yarn and fiber safe from the flooding?!

FYI, I discovered at our local fiber festival that llamas and alpacas get red eye.

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home