PumpkinKnits

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Comfort Shawl Complete

I was a lot closer to completing my shawl than I thought last time I posted. I quickly ran out of my main yarn in the rows to come. I was quite literally weaving in ends in order to snip tails and join on to my cast off row - eek! I didn't think it would look right if I just continued in stripes without my main color present anymore. It all worked out though, because after a bath the shawl grew so that it is as wide as my height exactly (5'9"). The knitting gods were smiling upon me that day. I have it in my office now to battle the fact that I work in an ice chest, thanks to my thermostat living in an closed/locked office accross the hall.


Project Specs:
Pattern: Feather and Fan Comfort Shawl, Sarah Bradberry
Yarn: all my handspun oddments
Needles: Denise #9
Notes: a very easy but engaging pattern. Just about perfect for a new spinner who has collected all kinds of smallish skeins. This has hand washed/carded/dyed romney, alpaca, my first wonky attempt at low-twist singles, everything but the kitchen sink. The pattern is very forgiving and not only hides a multitude of sins, but makes them look pretty!


I have started another project, but I have to keep it secret. You see, when my dear sister in law came to pick up her Rogue last month, she and my brother shared with us that they are expecting their first child! So of course this new little person will need some hand knit items. While it is no surprise to them that Aunt Pumpkinmama will be knitting, I can at least keep the nature of the knitting a surprise. In the meantime, Sockapaloooza socks continue apace, and of course there will be spinning.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on all: new baby coming in family, completing your BEAUTIFUL shawl and starting sockapaloooza socks. You are a very dedicated crafter!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

the shawl is beautiful!! love the pattern, the colors, and it looks sooo soft! congrats on the soon to be new family member too

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said it last time and I'll say it this time: This shawl came out about a zillion times better than any other stash-busting shawl I've seen. The colors work beautifully together. May it bring you great comfort in your icebox!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Baycolonyfarm said...

It is beautiful! Do you mind if I post a link on my blog to show people where the pattern is?

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy, came out beautifully! Well done!

10:23 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, that shawl is lovely! Now I wish I had more oddments.

Heh, I'm in the same boat re: an upcoming little neice or nephew, with the additional burden that my brother doesn't want me to mention said neice or nephew on the blog. Ack.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

What a gorgeous shawl! I love, love, love that idea for using up little handspun bits. Love it so much I might have to steal it...

10:29 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Wow, that came out great! I can't believe it's made from odd pieces. So pretty.
And yay for babies! I love baby knitting. :)

10:37 AM  
Blogger Moosler said...

Hooray for baby knitting indeed. And just because I can't help myself: 13 exclamation points in 9 comments. That's a Knitastic Metric (KM) of 1.44. I'd say your shawl is a hit!!!

11:06 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

The shawl is lovely! Happy news about a new baby in your family. Have fun with that.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You shawl is gorgeous! And congratulations on the big news!

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful shawl! And what a great way to use your odds and ends -- very cool!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Clever and lovely use of your handspun odds and ends. Hope it keeps you warm for many years!

Congrats Auntie Pumpkinmama!

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great use of odds and ends! I'm going to file away your idea and save it for future reference. Beatiful shawl.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home