PumpkinKnits

Monday, April 10, 2006

G is for...

Glorious color.

Ok, so I'm cheating and getting a 2-for-1 post. I had the great pleasure of attending a dyeing workshop with Linda Whiting of Pinestar Studio yesterday. It was a fabulous workshop - we each made a color wheel using different base primaries, then we did various excercises exploring complementary and analagous color mixing, gradations of the same color, and the coolest was something I'd not really heard of before, using a color triangle to blend varying amounts of primaries to get 63 different colors that all blend together. This was JUST the dyeing workshop I needed - an excuse to sit down and be methodical and purposeful in what I do. I am all fired up to do all these same excersises using my own dyes, in hopes that I can recreate what you see below:


Each of us got a color card with everyone else's samples (we were all using different primary bases, remember). Isn't that just beautiful? I still have it out on my kitchen counter, just to keep flipping through and marvelling at all the colors.

We were a small group - just seven of us, including Cheryl, Julia, Alpaca Kathy, Vicki of the insanely decadent brownies and Germaine who makes me want to move so that I can send my son to her school, and of course, color genius Linda . This group is (part of) the base of our newly formed spinning group, and I am so pleased to have a continued excuse to hang out with them. They are all friendly and down-to-earth and just plain easy to like.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like a great time. I love the colors. Thanks for sharing your dyeing experience.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Those color samples are awesome! I'm glad you had a successful day!

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn it! I should have thought of doubling it up for a G post. Very clever.

I wish I wasn't at work right now, I have so many ideas fresh in my head.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Marina said...

I'm so jealous! No one here runs such a professional class.

9:00 AM  
Blogger lazysaturday said...

ahh, that dyeing workshop sounds like so much fun!

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool, looks like a lot of fun and inspiration.

9:08 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Wow, that sounds incredible. Mind boggling, actually, but fun! :)

9:14 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

What a very cool sounding class - I would love to take something like that.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

Oh to be a New England knitter...it's lonely here in Florida and we have no fun days like yours!

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like so much fun. I'm beginning to get the urge to dye. But at this time I'm way short on space (and information). The colors are lovely.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

How impressively scientific!w

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home