PumpkinKnits

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Dye-O-Rama

I am excited to have joined the Dye-O-Rama swap. I've been plotting and planning my swapee's yarn, and I am greatly looking forward to using the mad dyeing skills I picked up at the recent dye workshop with Linda Whiting.

And, even though I've had some communication with the (not idiotic at all) person who is dyeing yarn for me, I figured more information certainly cannot hurt the process.


Questions specific to this swap:

Your favorite colors?
Blues, greens and reds.

Preferred yarn weight (Fingering, Sport, DK, maybe even Worsted)?
Fingering or Sport for socks

Do you prefer solid or multicolored yarn?
Multicolored is good.

If your buddy is able to do so, would you like a variegated, self-striping, or self-patterning yarn? Whatever you're in the mood to try out.

Would you be interested in a wool blend sock yarn (nylon, tencel, silk, acrylic, alpaca, etc.)? S
Sure, but plain old wool is just fine too.

Imagine the perfect colorway. What would you name it?
Summer Storms

What was the biggest appeal to you for joining this dye-along?
An excuse to do a more structured dyeing project, as well as perhaps use some colors I don't tend to choose when dyeing for myself.

General yarn/fiber questions:

Have you dyed yarn/fiber before?
Yup.

If so, what’s your favorite dye and method?
I like the randomness I get with oven dyeing in a big roasting pan. I use Jaquard acid dyes.

Do you spin?
Yup.

Have you knit socks before?
Yup.

Do you use sock yarn for just socks or in other patterns too?
Mostly socks, but given the right colors and yardage would happily knit a shawl with some as well.

What are some of your favorite yarns?
For socks, I am smitten with my first Koigu currently, and adore the short bursts of colors. I also like almost any "home-made" hand dyed multicolor sock yarn.


What yarn do you totally covet?
I'd love to try out the much-heralded Socks that Rock.

Favorite patterns?
This is too hard to answer.

Any pattern you would love to make if money and time were no object?
I'd love to do another kit from one of the Starmores. The yarn is incredible, and I'm lately in love with the idea of Fern.

Favorite kind of needles (brand, materials, straights or circs, etc)?
I use my Denise's for anything that needs "big" needles. Have been enjoying Magic Looping socks on my #1 Addis.

If you were a specific kind of yarn, which brand and kind of yarn would you be?
I would probably be something not-too-fancy but useful and practical. Perhaps Cascade 220?

Nothing to do with knitting/yarn/fiber in any way but seemed kinda fun:

Do you have a favorite candy or mail-able snack?
I love Smarties (keep a bag in my desk at work) , dark chocolate and sweet-tarts.

What’s your favorite animal?
Monkies.

Do you have pets? What are their species/names/ages?
A handful of fish in a freshwater aquarium, but I wouldn't call them pets.

If you were a color what color would you be?
A nice barn-red color.

Describe your favorite shirt (yours or someone else’s)..
Any comfy T-shirt.

What is your most inspiring image, flower, or object in nature?
I am always drawn to the sight of bright green summer trees standing out against a steel-gray-blue sky after a storm has passed and the sun has returned (see name for a colorway question above). Something about the colors and feel of this happening resonates deeply with me.

Tell me the best quote you’ve ever heard or read.
I don't know about the best, but one axiom that has helped me greatly over the years (and I have no idea where it comes from) is "the only way out is through". Saying this helped me through my labor with my child, helped me get through a serious illness my husband had a few years ago, and comes in handy when you're feeling not strong enough to do something.

Do you have a wishlist?
Peace, happiness, health, and a new president.

Anything else you’d like to share with the group today?
Isn't this enough? I'm feeling silly now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about the sky after a big storm, when the sun has just come back.

Summer Storms, good name for a yarn. (Or a stripper)

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you!
most excellent in helping me in my quest.

and i'll be amazed if i can click the anonymous button.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home