PumpkinKnits

Friday, April 21, 2006

H is for....

Help with Heels! I'm doing my first toe-up sock. In my "red" Koigu I bought online a little while back. I'm not really using a pattern. I started with the "Magic Cast-on for Toe Up Socks" in the latest Knitty - I highly recommend it, its easy-peasy and no fuss.
I'm continuing on in plain stockinette. I much prefer a gusset heel for my foot over a short row, and would love any pointers to good links explaining how to do it, either that or a good way to make a deeper than usual short row heel. I'm really liking how the Koigu is knitting up on size 1s - dense and firm and oh so comfy. There will certainly be more Koigu for my feet in the future.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The toe up Jaywalker pattern has instructions for a gusset/flap heel. I have not tried it yet.

I have done the Turkish after-thought heel, from Lucy Neatby's Cool Socks, Warm Feet. Easy-peezy and it's deeper than a short row, but a bit too deep for me. Next time I use it, I'll do a bit of math before hand.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I have a link in my sidebar to Judy Gibson's great toe-up sock pattern - it has a gusset and flap heel and I think it looks great. Her pattern is just plain - I do a K1, slip 1 instead.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Here's one -- http://tiajudy.com/soxform.htm

And another -- http://www.socknitters.com/toe-up/tulessonone.htm

I used the second one on some Koigu socks -- http://aswiminknits.blogspot.com/2005/10/sock-complishment.html. I like the heel very much now, although I did not when I posted. (I reserve the right to change my mind!)

8:44 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

For a simple deeper shortrow heel, use 60% of the sts in the heel instead of 50%. You can do a heel flap and gusset and everything just as if you were knitting top down - the flap will be under your heel, but it works.

My biggest problem with toe-up is that I can never figure out where to start the heel. I tend to make the foot too short, and no amount of heel depth can fix that.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Sheeprustler said...

A deeper than usual short row heel involves using more than half the stitches - on a sock of 68 stitches I use half plus five on each side for my DH and half plus four on each side for myself. The exact amount depends on your foot and leg width, of course, but half is rarely enough. HTH.

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a terrific colorway. I like the very short stretches between color changes.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

H is also for "Hello"
Hello to you my dye-o-rama swapee!!
xo!

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home