PumpkinKnits

Monday, March 20, 2006

F is for

Fishing. I've been fishing for far longer than I've been knitting. I've been surprised to discover that fishing and knitting have a lot in common.



Just like in knitting, there are people who do it for the process: men and women who just like being out on the water, the repetitive rhythm of casting and reeling in, over and over. A fish or two at the end of an outing is nice, but not a requirement.

Then there is the product fisherperson: The goal is a fish, dammit. This person will mostly only fish if there is evidence of looming success; the swirl of a bass just underneath the surface, terns diving madly at the bait a school of blues has driven to the surface, or even better: other fishermen reeling them in right in front of you.

Just like with knitting, I fall somewhere in the middle. There are days when I'm happy to just be out in the wind and the water, content with the cadence of it all, and others when I seek immediate gratification. Just like with knitting, as I mature, it is the process that gives me more and more pleasure.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

For me, it depends on what I'm fishing for. If we're just out on the lake, enjoying a day and fishing for large mouth bass, I'm happy with whatever we catch or don't catch. But, if we're striper fishing, I want a fish, damnit. Just because striper is so delicious! Great post, and I love the photo.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a fisherperson myself, I wasn't sure I was going to see what you meant about fishing and knitting being alike. However, your description makes quite a lot of sense. I hope you continue to enjoy both the process and the fruits of both.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I don't fish, either, but I can see the similarities in the process vs product orientation.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to fly fish. Something about trying to outwit a critter with a small brain makes it fun. It's amazing how often they win. And it's all about the process for me. Catch and release is what I do.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Debi said...

What a great "F"! I love to fish too. Sadly I haven't done it quite a while!
Thanks for the compliments on my socks, I love the yellow too!

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home