PumpkinKnits

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Halfway Done

I finished up sock #1 of my Sockapaloooza sock last night. I would have been done sooner, but I kept knitting away on my size 1 needles for far too long, in denial that the leg looked a wee bit narrow. I finally faced the music and ripped about 4 inches of sock leg. This version was knit on #2s with the same number of stitches, and I am still getting a good fabric. I am feeling ambivalent about the garter short row heel - it looks pretty cool, and being garter stitch has the added benefit of not having to hide the wraps. I am smitten with the spiraling decreases to the toe that maintain the pattern continuity - it just looks really neat-o.

I typically cast on immediately for all of my 2nd socks, so as to avoid the whole second sock syndrome, but I am too enthralled with my handspun shawl - it is coming out way more beautiful than I had hoped and I'm cookin' through it. So, so, so satisfying to knit with all your own yarn. Besides, I can't not finish the 2nd sock, so SSS worries are not too compelling. Shawl photos and a blatant rip-off of homage to Cheryl's lovely batts later this week!

16 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

That sock is just stellar! Really, really fabulous. Your sockpal is a lucky one. :)

7:43 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Which pattern are you using by the way?

7:46 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Oh, that's utterly gorgeous! That Lucy Neatby, she's a clever 'un for sock patterns. But the yarn you're using - wow. Refresh my memory about what yarn that is??

7:56 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

The socks looks great but I want shawl photos. Waaahhh.

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At brief glance, the pattern almost looked like entrelac - are you sharing pattern and yarn info?

8:22 PM  
Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Whoa. That is a stunning sock!

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool sock, I like toe decreases, and the spiraling effect really breaks up the handdyed in an interesting way. I wanna see the shawl!

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that sock is so cool! Talk about a brilliant yarn/pattern match up.
I can't wait to see what sort of batts you've cooked up. And I don't think you can really pay homage to mine when they were inspired by you anyway. The dyeing and blending with the milk fiber was actually your idea, remember? So you're sort of paying homage to yourself.

This is reminding me of that Sprint commercial: "But you are the man. So...you're sticking it to yourself?" Ha ha!

Okay, I'll get out of your comments now.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is fantastic! I love the way that the stripes and the pattern interact.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME SOCKS!! Love the mermaid pattern and what it does to self-striping yarn. Your lucky sockpal!

2:37 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

What a fun sock! Your pal is going to love it.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That spiraling down to the toe is awesome. Great-looking sock! And I like your strategy for combatting second sock syndrome -- I think I'll make myself do that too (cast on the second one right away).

12:46 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

That's a cool looking sock--and I don't usually get excited about socks! It's going on my "if I ever make an other pair of socks, these are patterns to try" list. However, I think I completely missed the post where you say what pattern and yarn you are using.

1:58 PM  
Blogger alison said...

The sock looks awesome!! Wow!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Helga said...

Love it. It's great how the pattern uses the selfstriping yarn. Pretty yarn, too.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Soggy Desert Rat said...

Wow! If those were mine, I'd wear them with one of my stuffy business suits and tantilize them all with an outrageous hint of color!

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home