PumpkinKnits

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Technology Post

There seems to be trend of knitters talking about technology these past couple days, so I guess I'll join in.

Nope - not gonna talk about feed aggregators for your blog reading fix - those two up there have it covered. I am going to talk about browsers. It recently came to my attention that my blog looks like shit if you're using Internet Explorer. My first instinct is to say "Hey, serves you right, switch to a real browser" and let it be, and the UNIX-lovin' freaky geek BOFH inside me might decide to do just that, but for now I'm just feeling bitter about spending and inordinate amount of time getting my sidebar positioned correctly when viewed with IE, and the result is that now my blog looks good in IE, and half-good in the real browser that I use. And that pisses me off.

But I did it for you dear IE users, as I know some of you don't care to get all technical and stuff and do things like install new browsers, and some of you will cry and say "but its the only browser they let me use at work, and what else am I going to do at work all day but read knitting blogs?" And, because about 60% of my readers use it - BAH, come on people!

For those of you a little curious about a better browsing experience - go here to see your choices. You'll love whatever you choose, I promise. Plus you'll be a whole lot safer online, and us geeks who help try to keep the internet safe and secure will love you because of it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well, you've converted me. I am trying out a new browser. I will let you know how it works. Thanks for the recommendation.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I've heard that Firefox is great but that a lot of sites look like crap with it. What's your opinion on that? Thanks!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I've been using Firefox from it's start, and wow, they just keep making it easier to use. Maybe you should do a little post about Spyware Blaster, and all the other clean up tools that IE users should use when they switch over? I hope this posts switches more people over to good browsers. :)

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I use Mozilla, and your sidebar looks fine to me. I agree with you encouraging others to switch frim IE, hopefullt they'll take your advice.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firefox rocks. I have mods that allow me to have multiple pages open in tabs. I keep all my necessaries open (mail, bloglines, KR, etc), and another mod remembers what's open and reopens them all next time I log in. Love it.

Getting things to look good in IE and Firefox is frustrating. I still can't get borders around my photos in IE.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Funny, I just noticed the same thing the other day. (Fun with statcounter.) And who are these people who use msn as a search engine? Everyone I know uses google. I love Firefox and Safari (although Blogger works better with Firefox until the next Safari upgrade comes out), and really, people who use IE can just deal.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home