PumpkinKnits

Friday, December 09, 2005

Armistice Day, not V-day

The Brioche Helmet Hat has been knit into submmission. Like I said yesterday, I would call it a truce, rather than a victory for either of us. I think I figured out why I was having trouble with the pattern in the round though - a yarn over before a p2tog. I've always had trouble with purl-wise yarn overs - I rarely have used them, and when I have I think I've done them wrong, and I think that was where my pain came from, not the pattern itself. I'll have to research furhter.

Anyway - just in time for our first "big" snowstorm (the one that was supposed to come when I first spoke of this hat never actually materialized, so I still have my timing right for this hat) here it is:

(isn't it amazing how quickly they learn the forced smile?)




Project Specs:
Pattern: Brioche Helmet Hat, Kelly Bridges, Interweave Fall 2005
Yarn: 2 50g balls Plymouth Baby Alpaca, one red, one bright blue
Needles: Susan Bates 16" #6 circular
Notes: Even though I knit this flat, and the pattern was written for in the round, I was able to follow the pattern exactly as written (i.e. decrease rows needed no messing with). This hat fits just how I had hoped, although I think I could have made it about an inch longer. Despite careful cranial measurments, and holding the hat half done in place as I approached the end, for some reason I always underestimate this kid's head. I think blocking will help give me the smidge of extra room I'd like. Does running around getting sweaty-headed in a hat in a snowstorm count as blocking?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's a cutie and the hat looks great. Our snow has now turned to rain. Sigh. What a bummer!

10:31 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

Congrats on taming the hat! It's a cute hat on cute little Pumpkin!

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice hat! Cute Kid!

Beth (big geek)

5:05 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Yay, good job! He's a cute kid, I can imagine him running around in the snow!

5:59 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

yes - running around getting sweaty-headed in a snowstorm counts as blocking. In fact, I think it's better then blocking flat because it'll mold to his head. It's a wonderful idea.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home