PumpkinKnits

Monday, December 05, 2005

Shoot me now

I consider myself pretty adept at knitting. I know I am still but a newbie (1+ year of "significant knitting" under my belt) but I have yet to come across a technique or pattern that has really stumped me for any length of time.

I have now had my ass kicked by a hat. She who happily chose a Jade Starmore pattern for her first fair-isle, she whose first cabling experience was an 8-stitch braided cable on teeny-tiny sock needles has had a can of whoop-ass opened upon her by a freakin hat. Serves me right, I am coming up this week on my one year blog-birthday (sorry, I hate the word blogiversary) so a bit of come-uppance is due I suppose.

The hat in question is the Brioche Helmet Hat from this falls Interweave Knits. Here is my 4th attempt:
The hat is worked back and forth in short rows to create the ear-flappy parts, then joined in the round and continued as usual. Once I join it in the round is where the ass-whooping begins. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I just can't seem to get it. I'm remembering to change to the instructions for working the brioche in the round (different from back and forth), I am counting correctly, I just have NO FREAKIN CLUE where I am going wrong. Attempt #4 above is still in the back and forth stage, and I am tempted to just knit the thing flat and seam it. I love this hat - I want this hat for PumpkinBoy's head, we're getting a snow storm tomorrow, and in the time I have spent on this one hat I could have knit him four in a different pattern by now.

I may email Cate, who just finished a couple of these for her beautiful babes, or I may even see if I can email the designer. I am feeling like I need to beat this hat just because at this point. Oh, I didn't mention in my countdown list that I'm a tad stubborn? Only time will tell if I get a victory post or have to publicly admit being beaten by a toddler hat.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that there is a knitter out there that hasn't had his or her ass kicked by a pattern at some point. I don't have any advice on the brioche hat, but I hope you solve the problem. Keep at it, I'm sure you'll figure it out somehow.
Happy blog birthday!

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I havne't knit that one so I can't help but I'd ask Cate. She's a wealth of information on spinning and always willing to share. I'm sure she'd help with this, too. Good luck and perservere!

7:25 AM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

I can't help you with the hat. But good luck with the pattern. I know you will figure it out.

Also, your whole blog appears to be one big link to your blog. At least it is here. I'm not sure what's going on.

9:19 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

There's a brioche hat in the round in Melanie Falick's Weekend Knitting. I don't know how good the directions are since the brioche scarf I'm doing is flat, but it might be a source for comparison, at least. Good luck!

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've knit a brioche hat in the round using these instructions without any problem:

http://megan.kiwi.gen.nz/Hat/

But I haven't tried the IK helmet hat (which I'm sure is more complicated) or the version in Weekend Knits. Although I was just thumbing through Weekend Knits the other day and lingered on that hat pattern.

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaargh, I hated this blummin hat! After 3 attempts to do it in the round, I gave in and did it flat. I then messed up the top so much that I had to add in a fuzzy yarn so you couldn't see where I'd gone wrong. And I had to knit it freakin HUGE as the recipent, who is only 2, has an ENORMOHEAD (about 24cm). I liked the way the stitch looked when it was right, but it is a PAIN to tink... I think I'm permanently scarred *sniff*

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey--

I have been trying to do Melanie Falick's BiColor Brioche hat for THREE MONTHS. My life has been revolving around trying to "get it." I have done Aran patterns, Celtic knot patterns...and I can't figure this one out and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I get it to look right on one side, but the pattern is supposed to be exactly the same, but reversed colors, on the other side, and it just ain't happenin'. I'm going to try Megan Mill's instructions to see what's wrong.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home