PumpkinKnits

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Feeling HOT HOT HOT

I have finished my socks for the Holiday Sock Swap. If you stepped into fresh snow with just these socks on, you'd melt big holes in it. With such a HOT colorway, I chose a HOT pattern as well - called Lava Flow from the Sock-Bug (link in project specs below). It is just a simple slip stitch pattern, but adds just a touch interest to a yarn that would compete heavily with just about anything other than plain stockinette stitch.

I am very pleased, and I think my swappee will be too. This particular colorway was virtually impossible for my camera to capture well in any lighting condition - I tried them all. After a massive photo shoot and some photoshop doctoring, this is pretty close, with the bottom one representing the colors best and also allowing a glimpse of the slip stitch pattern.



Project Specs:
Pattern: Lava Flow from The Sock-Bug
Yarn: Shaefer Anne, color 46
Needles: Addi Turbo #1
Notes: First time using the Magic Loop method. I had a rough start, but I think I like it and will use it again. Also first time with a short row heel. I don't think I prefer it to a traditional turned heel - it just doesn't seem to look as nice to me. The yarn was new to me as well, and I really, really like it. Its superwash, mohair and nylon and it comes in HUGE skeins (560 yards/4oz) and I have a fair amount left over. It seems like it will make for long-lasting socks. They have some really gorgeous colorways as well. It bled like a mo-fo though when given a bath- which I expected with all that red, but it just kept going and going and going.

They are all wrapped up, along with a little something extra, and ready to go in the mail as soon as I get my butt to the post office.

8 Comments:

Blogger Acornbud said...

Great color on those socks!. I've with you on the short row heel. My first magic loop heel had a couple holes that I had to mess with. The Addi Turbos are a pleasure to knit with.

11:39 AM  
Blogger CjSachiko said...

I'm not usually a fan of bright colors but those are an awesome pair of socks there! =)

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gor-geee-oss color! And congrats on the magic loop, I love it myself.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the slip stitch, spices it up without competing. Love the colors, too!

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks!! I'm afraid I'm not nearly as quick as you, but I am steadily plugging away. I tried a new pattern which is part of the slowness. Hopefully you'll be as pleased with your socks as you are with the socks you just finished!

Hugs,
Your Sox Pal

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks look great! I love the bright colors! Congrats on your new wheel, too!

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks look great! I wouldn't complain at ALL if I was your recipient!

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks came out great! I love the color you used. I haven't tried that yarn before, but I think I'm going to have to now, after seeing those socks. I'm sure your recipient will love them.

1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home