PumpkinKnits

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Dyeing, Spinning and a Question on Barber Poles

Having Adrian's wheel has been awesome. I spun up the rest of the Copper Moose - with much more pleasing (to me) results. Take a look:
The bottom hank is what I spun up first, the top hank is the second half and is what I was looking for all along - plied up its roughly heavy worsted - not super bulky and really quite even - yipeee! I got double the yardage out of the same amount of wool, and I am very very pleased.

I've also been dyeing:






I really like the first yellow-y stuff a lot. The red I've decided is going to be named Muppet Vomit - its looking a lot more neon pink-y here on my monitor, it is a little more subdued than that, but not by much. I stuck with straight up colors here - i.e. I just used them as packaged with no mixing of my own shades. I hope to do more today and make my own colors.

Now, my plans for the dyed stuff was to ply each color batch it up on itself, and get some pretty barber-pole results like you see out there in spinning land. I'm feeling some trepidation about this, due to the fact that as I'm spinning this hand-dyed stuff, my singles are barber-poling themselves - you can see it below a little bit - esp. right at the top of the frame with the white and gold wrapping around eachother:

I worry that two plies of already barber-poled singles will come out looking rather craptastic. So I ask all you experienced spinners out there - is there some crucial bit of technique that I am currently oblivious to that will prevent this? I'll most likely still ply this up and just see what happens, but I've been working while spinning the Muppet Vomit to keep this from happening, and I just can't seem to make it happen. No matter what I do, as I approach a color change, I have to end up drafting a bit of one color with a bit of another and they just sit there, wrapped up against one another in stripes. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, don't for get to put yourself on the Frappr Map!

And, I put up a "100 Things About Me" over in the sidebar - I've enjoyed getting to know all of you who have one a little better by reading yours, and attempted to think of 100 things about me so that I can return the favor

And, and, I bought a wheel. The same one I've got on loan from Adrian - a Louet S17. I am beyond excited. Early Merry Christmas to Me!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Rachel said...

Wow, your spinning looks great! Lucky you getting a wheel. I hope to get one someday. I really like the dyed roving, especially the Muppet vomit one!

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Carole said...

I think the singles look great but I can't offer any help on the plying business. I'll be curious to see what you end up with, though!

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Monica said...

Congrats on your new wheel! Good job on the Copper Moose 2ply and the dyeing. What kind of dyes have you been using? I'm getting ready to go beyond Kool Aid.

Hehe, looks like Muppet Roadkill to me. :)

On plying, I think I read that if you get a lot of complementary colors (purple/yellow, green/red) next to each other they will tone each other down and may look murky. As far as the barberpole effect, I think that is tough to avoid on the yellow batch because it is dyed "spotty". As you draft, it is tough to avoid getting more than one color in there; whereas on the Muppet one, you can have more sections of just red or maybe blue.

I haven't been spinning long, though, so I hope someone else can chime in. :)

2:09 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

What Monica said. :-)
I've had some great stuff ending up looking murky.
Great spinning though, I put a shoutout on your map.

Take Care!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Pretty new yarn! And congrats on your early Xmas gift :)

Thanks for sharing the almost 100 things, interesting. I just did one too but haven't posted it yet!

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home