PumpkinKnits

Friday, November 18, 2005

One Happy Camper

Ye-haw! I finished spinning and plying my Muppet Vomit yesterday and it came out pretty good for a first attempt. My fears about the barberpoling at the singles level appear to have been misplaced - you can't even notice it in the finished product. Here it is along with the yellow stuff, which I kept as singles, and with which I am also very pleased.


Also, I completed sock #1 of my holiday sock swap sock this morning:
The yarn is Shaefer Anne - in colors that are extremely difficult to photograph - reds, pinks and even orange. It is kind of a crazy combination, but I'm pretty confident my swapee will enjoy it. I'm first-timing two things here: a short row heel (not sure if I like over a typical turned heel) and using magic loop technique. At the beginning of the sock, I came very close to just putting it on DPNs on more than one occasion, however, I stuck it out and I like it a lot more than I did at first. We'll see if it becomes my method of choice.

That is all folks - more spinning and sock knitting for me this weekend. Hope you have a good one too.

6 Comments:

Blogger Martha said...

I love your Muppet Vomit! While scary as roving, not at all muppet-vomity once spun. Amazing. There's just so much to learn.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice spinning! Great socks!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I think your "muppet vomit" is very very pretty! I love that barberpole effect! You centainly have teken to spinning like you were born to it!

I personally dislike magic loop (and 2 circs, 1 circ, ect.) cause I feel as if I'm spending 80% of my time schlepping cables in, out and around and 20% knitting where as with DPNs it's 90% knitting and 10% changing needles. Give me the knitting! :)

3:40 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I like your red sock!! What are you using as a pattern? Looks like there is some sort of slip stitch thing going on ...?

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, your muppet vomit is gorgeous! I love how it turned out!

10:35 AM  
Blogger the fiddlin' fool said...

Nice socks! Glad to hear you tried a few new techniques.

I'm not a Magic Loop fan because it feels like too much pulling and pushing. I do, however, like 2 circs because I'm the kind of knitter that is always dropping the extra dpn, deeply afraid that all of the stitches I'm not working on are going to fall off the other needles, might have to stop mid-row, and like longer, fewer rows over shorter, more frequent ones.

Anyways, I haven't tried a short row heel, but I did recently do an afterthought heel. A little bit fussy, but they are the best fitting heels I have!

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home