PumpkinKnits

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Categorization

There are two categories of knitting in my world.

Solitary Knitting; This is the knitting that I can only do when the PumpkinBoy is napping, out of the house or asleep for the night. This is the knitting that requires concentration from me or is knitted on teeny tiny pointy sticks, that, if a toddler were to come crashing into my lap suddenly out of nowhere, could cause some not so nice results. My butterfly vest and almost any sock I knit fall into this category. The list of appropriate times for this knitting sounds plentiful, but when you add in the fact that I usually have a long list of non-knitting tasks that also are best done during my "alone time" it doesn't really add up to too much.

Here is my progress on Butterfly, my Solitary Knitting project:

18 rows in Posted by Picasa

Disruptable Knitting: This is the bulk of my knitting time. Projects for this category have to be pretty simple, and can't make me scream in agony if, by some strange chance, a little hand snags my ball of yarn and runs away with it, or if a little body all of a sudden needs mama's undivided attention RIGHT NOW. I need to be able to toss this stuff aside quickly without worrying about losing my place.

Here is my current Disruptable Knitting: can you guess what it is?



Do you have mental categories for your projects? I know many out there think in terms of portable and non-portable, but I'm curious to hear in what other ways people sort out their work.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My knitting usually falls into the similar categories as yours -- "knits I need to thik about" and "knits I can talk through". Of course, even easy things (like socks) have their "no-talking" moments like grafting the toes!!

3:00 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

huh... looks like you have some spam there...

I also have two knitting categories: TV knitting and nonTV knitting, which are similar to your categories. TV knitting is also subdivided into reading knitting and non-reading knitting. Reading knitting is straight stockinette, which I can do while I'm reading!

3:53 PM  
Blogger Sorka said...

I have similar catagories.. as well as work knitting! That has to be done no matter what!!hehe

I have waiting room knitting! A project small enough to fit in my purse that requires no pattern and can be quickly stashed away when name is called!
Unfortunately this is going to move into another catagory soon as it is growing too big!

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't so much have categories as types of projects. I usually have 4 projects going at a time. a traveling project which is usually socks, a complicated project like lace, something mindless so I can read and knit at the same time, and a fun project like a felted bag or a gift. This seems to work for me and it's like your categories - different knits for different occasions.

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home