PumpkinKnits

Saturday, May 03, 2008

The Winner Is...

I felt quite bereft last night with nothing on the wheel - I was tempted to close the poll early and just start spinning. I restrained myself though, so now I get to start pre-drafting the lovely "In the Navy Now".



Here is the yarn resulting from my red dye job that I named "Creeper" in honor of the Virginia Creeper leaf photo that inspired it. It came out a little less bright than I expected, but I really love it. Got about 220yds of worsted from 4oz. Note that all my recent dyeing has been wool from a pound of "Corridale cross" that I got free when I bought the Rose - I traditionally dislike Corriedale, but this stuff has a hand much more like BFL to me, so I've really loved spinning it.



I also realized I never shared the yarn that came from the sparkly blue batts I had carded up. Probably because I don't really like it. The wool was from one of the first fleeces I purchased, and from a breed of sheep designed for food, not wool, so its not soft and kind of a strange texture - harder to spin than I'd expected. Probably won't be using much of that again. But it was fun to play with the carder and might as well practice on crappy wool right?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Manise said...

The wool from yarn on the bottom might be nice to stuff pillows with after you've played with it.

I do *love* the Creeper yarn.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

For crappy, that green stuff is awfully pretty. The Virginia creeper is gorgeous, though. Anything that feels like BFL is good in my book. I've never gotten anything that nice with my wheels.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

I love the sparkly yarn! It's the type of yarn I'd be interested in buying.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I ask how you spun the Creeper? Did you fractal-spin it, or is all that barberpoley gorgeousness just serendipity?

And the sparkly blue stuff looks like it would make really nifty mittens. I LOVE the streak of acid green!

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home