PumpkinKnits

Monday, March 31, 2008

Abandonment....and some spinning

Setting knitting goals for myself worked well to get me to finish Celtic Dreams, but it is failing with the Morning Glories wrap. I am just not feeling the love at all anymore. One way I was working to make my knitting goals was to give each project its own night - so say on Tuesdays, I would always knit on Celtic Dreams after the kids went to bed. What I have found with Morning Glories is that on its designated night, I just don't knit. I'd rather NOT KNIT than knit on that right now, and it makes me feel awful - its a gorgeous pattern, kick ass yarn (if I do say so myself) and I just can't bear to even look at it anymore. So I am hereby giving myself permission to let it sit until A. The desire to work on it returns or B. I find something else to knit with the yarn, and frog it.

Despite (or perhaps because of) my ennui for the wrap, my spinning has been much more frequent. I finished the Pigeon Roof merino "Drift". My original plan was to do soft singles, but I didn't like the colors as singles. Once I realized that, I took what I'd already spun and sent it through the wheel again, adding more twist so I could change my plan to a 2ply - I like it much better this way:



I got about 350yds from 4oz - sportweight I'd guess, I never bother to measure WPI.

Next on the wheel is the last installment from Hello Yarn Fiber Club, called "Insect Wings". I've got 8oz that I've split into thirds, with a plan to make my first true 3ply (i.e not chain plied). I'm trying to keep it pretty fine so the end result isn't too bulky.

With the arrival of spring (I just looked out the window after I typed this, and its fucking snowing again!!) I'm getting strong creative urges that aren't sated by knitting and spinning, and might take out the dyepot and the drum carder soon and play with color and blending and making some batts. I'll be sure to share my results here.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

I really think the first and possibly only rule of knitting is to knit what you enjoy. So, if you aren't enjoying it, don't knit it. Your spinning is wonderful.

10:17 AM  
Blogger pigbook1 said...

I think your plan sounds marvelous. Knitting isn't worth it if it isn't fun. Also, I think your spinning is gorgeous!

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never bother with WPI either. I'm a very lazy spinner. ;-)

Plying was definitely the way to go with your Pigeon Roof fiber. It's a glorious skein!

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds almsot like a knitting "burn out" of sorts. I say let it be until you get the urge to finish it. Don't feel guilty! After all, it's supposed to be a hobby, not a chore.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That spinning looks great!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

If you want company at the dyepot and drum carder, let me know! I would love to come play with colors.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous stuff. That Insect Wings is lovely. And it does suck to have it snow, especially while we're moving. Yuck!

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about playing with the drum carder more too! I have all those fleeces to do somethng with.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Manise said...

Love that skein more than is reasonable! Reminds me of the colors on the front and back cover of One Skein. I've yet to do a true 3-ply. And I have the same amount of the Insect Wings.....hmmmm.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think all your impulses are good ones. I worry about my own Morning Glory, because I have put it down after the second repeat of the never ending part, and, well, who knows if I will ever be able to face it again. Those long lengths of knitting the same pattern take a special kind of resolve, and perhaps you and I don't quite got it.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Projects like MG demand to be frogged. It's a learning curve.

Your two ply is beautiful. I like the resolve to get something nice, then add more twist to make it so.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

I love your two ply. It's such a soft yet interesting batch of colors.

I keep telling myself that life is too short to knit on something that I'm just not enjoying. Doesn't stop me from doing it all the time, but it's a great thing to keep in mind.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Joan of Dark said...

Your spinning is so pretty, very, very spring-ish!

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home