PumpkinKnits

Monday, March 17, 2008

A Year in the Making

I am very pleased to announce that my Celtic Dreams is finished.

This has been my longest on the needles project to date, and my first aran ever. I have a ton more like this in my queue on Ravelry, but I must say, while it is not really difficult to knit per se, these suckers sure are time consuming. The yarn is Classic Elite Skye Tweed, and once washed up it is so soft and felty feeling. Its a little rough right out of the ball, but changes dramatically after a bath. Its also warm - like sweating the whole time I did my little solo photo shoot this morning, even though its cool in the house. All of the project details are in my notebook on Ravelry here. The only real mods I made were to spread the sleeve decreases out a bit further to avoid a really odd shaped arm.

The fact that I have completed this in mid-March pretty much guarantees that warm weather will rear its head here any day now, thus denying me the pleasure of wearing my hard work until the fall, so take heart fellow New Englanders, the end of winter is nigh.

Now I get to plot and plan my next sweater to hit the needles, after I get a few smaller projects out of the way. I have three options bopping around in my head, all of which will feel like instant gratifcation projects compared to this. I might let you guys choose whats next and have a little poll.

Labels:

27 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats! it looks great!

I am on the first sleeve on my CD and it is just soooooo slow going. I love it though. I'll finish it someday (you inspire me to do so)! :)

10:24 AM  
Blogger carla said...

What a beauty! I'd love to knit something like that, but I'm afraid I'd never have an excuse to wear it.

11:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It is lovely! It was worth the wait. Congrats!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Mini said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it.
Great job!!!!!!!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just gorgeous!

If it makes you feel any better, I finished mine in the middle of a heatwave in JUNE. You've still got some possible Aran-wearing weather ahead....

1:35 PM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

Your sweater looks great! I love finishing big projects (makes me wonder why I don't try to do that more often).

2:05 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

It's wonderful! Congratulations on finishing your epic!

3:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so embarrassed. Mine is still less than half way! Good job getting it done. It's beautiful.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, well done! It's lovely! :-)

And why oh why did they discontinue Skye Tweed?! (sigh...) It's wonderful for heavily cabled projects like this one.

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fitting to finish your Celtic sweater on St. Patrick's Day. Congrats. It looks lovely! xoxo

3:54 PM  
Blogger knitalot3 said...

Very nice! You did a great job and the fit is perfect.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How perfect to get it posted and worn on St. Patrick's Day. You can dream celtic all day long. It worked up beautifully.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Micky said...

Looks great!
Mine just sits in the closet waiting for me to pick it up again.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Congratulations - it's just lovely!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Acornbud said...

wow, you must be proud! Lovely.

1:59 AM  
Blogger Anne P said...

Looks fantastic! I love the look of Aran patterns, but since the last one took me almost 3 years in bits and starts to finish, I am still not ready to go there again.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, it's finally done! Nice job! It looks great on you. Can you bring it this week so I can try it on? Maybe that will motivate me to finish mine! Or at least to cast on.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely lovely! Congrats on the finishing. But if it's bringing warmer weather, why didn't you finish it sooner???

8:10 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Perfect and it the fit is wonderful!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Congratulations! It turned out perfectly. And I do appreciate the warm weather harbinger. We truly need one right about now.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Kristin Zecchinelli said...

wow that looks liek a lot of wokr! so pretty the finished product. you should start and ETSY shop! have you ever cehcked them out? make some $ on your beautiful things..

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Absolutely gorgeous! You must feel like queen of the world for conquering this one!

2:07 PM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

wow, it's gorgeous, and just in time for st patrick's day i see! and i dunno about where you are but it got pretty cold here the last couple of days and i'm wearing warm sweaters!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL! What an accomplishment ....

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's gorgeous. I hope you love yours as much as I love mine.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Manise said...

Drop dead gorgeous! Pat yourself on the back- that's quite an accomplishment! Truly impressed over here!

A pity they've discontinued the yarn. It's wonderful stuff.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little late with my comment on this post, but I wanted to say congratulations on finishing such an epic project! I started knitting that pattern once (ripped out because I hated the yarn) and I know those cables are a lot of work. Especially with little kiddos around! Yours turned out wonderfully, and you should wear it with pride!

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home