PumpkinKnits

Friday, February 15, 2008

Done!

Eight Days from start to finish - I really pushed myself on this one so I could get back to my "real" knitting. I am very pleased to have exorcised the demon! Even more pleased to have a really nice sweater to wear.


All the yarn/needles details are in Ravelry. I really love this pattern. Its quick and simple, and I think it would be a excellent use for handspun - you only need about 150g (really a bit less) of yarn for each colorway of the stripes, and the Kureyon is just a big single, it'd be easy to spin for this.

My primary concern while knitting this was the fact that the body is done in Ella Rae Classic - just a simple plied worsted weight (Cascade 200 clone, I'm told). The pattern called for Lambs Pride, which is a fattish single like the Kureyon, and I think a touch heavier than what I used. So the body fabric drapes very differently than the striped parts, which is ok, but were I to do it again, I'd used the Lambs Pride.

My favorite detail is also the one that gave me the most trouble - the side gussets.

The pattern has no schematic, and I've never done anything like this before, so I kind of had to just figure out how it was all supposed to meet in the underarm. I ended up frogging and shortening the triangular tops of each gusset by about 2-3 inches in order to get them to fit in a way that made sense to me. I hope to get a better look at the shop sample that started me on this path and see what it looks like on that one. I think what I did works just fine, I'm just curious about how it was "supposed" to be done.

A great pattern, but fair warning if you hate seaming - with the raglan and the gussets there are 10 seams! I happen to get a kick out of watching mattress stitch zip right up like lacing a corset, but for the seam-o-phobes, this would not be the project for you.

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a knitting mad-woman! That was so fast. It looks great.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lovely! You are giving me the knitting-a-sweater-bug.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Manise said...

That is one cool sweater! Looks great on you!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Ummm... you will be coming to Tuesday knit night, and you will be wearing this sweater... yes? ;-)

7:42 PM  
Blogger carla said...

It looks really great!

7:47 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Looks great, and since I like Noro and seaming, it might hop into my queue.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, speedy! It loks so great too! I'm a little surprised it's not knit in one piece bottom up, since it's a raglan. Although I have no idea how that would work with the gussets.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

I didn't notice the gusset in the first picture. It's so cool!

9:22 PM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

I love everything about it!!! Especially since I ogled the shop sample quite extensively one day.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

That looks awesome - I'm so inspired!

9:53 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Man, that's cute! Nice (and quick!) job. :)

12:03 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I can't believe you did it so quickly! It looks terrific, too. Congratulations.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Holy Crap woman, that WAS fast, but it looks fabulous on you!

7:54 AM  
Blogger pacalaga said...

That lacing thing is entertaining, isn't it?
Cute sweater!

10:40 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I think that's my new favorite sweater ever, ever, ever. And it looks FANTASTIC on you.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Mini said...

Oh, that looks FANTASTIC!!!

Are you heading up to SPA? are you going to wear it??

:) K

8:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It looks great! A great way to use a lone skein of a special yarn that you didn't buy enough of for a whole sweater. I have too many of those lying around!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

Gorgeous and quick! I'm not sure I could knit a sweater that quick even with the knitting demons holding me down and shoving the needles into my hands.

I love the striping!

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Difference between you and me? You do impulse sweaters, and get them over with. I start impulse sweaters, and get lost in them. Never to be seen again! COngrats, looks great!

7:51 PM  
Blogger Fields of Heather said...

I love raglan seaming and top-down sweaters-doesn't it make the project just fly? This, however, was NOT one of those, but it came out beautifully! I love the side gussets too!

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home