PumpkinKnits

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Fractal Results

Here's the finished skein fractal spun:


Its difficult to capture in photos but I think the end result is a different effect than if I just willy-nilly spun and plied. The way this roving was painted, one end was started off with a big lime green swath, and then alternated with the orange/yellow/pinks that are the predominant colors. The green never shows up again except in very small bursts.

So with the fractal method the whole front end of the skein has a base of green with all the other colors plied against it, then the background progresses through the long changes of the main colors.


I imagine this knitted up would provide some subtle striping, which is the goal of this technique, I think - it would help if I actually read the article - I can't believe I don't subscribe to SpinOff.

While plying this at spin night this week, I declared that I hated it now that it was plied, but it has grown on me, and I can see its prettiness now. Just not my normal colors I guess. I think I'd use this technique again, it is not really any extra work, assuming you're going to pre-draft in the first place. If I ever get around to knitting with this, I'll be sure to post about that as well.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger PurlingPirate said...

I love it! I think it's beautiful and would be more than happy to knit it for you!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

The colors are really nice together. I bet you'll love it knitted up.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very pretty. I definitely have to try that method. Congrats!

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That yarn looks great--very pumpkin-y! Great spinning, too (of course).

4:27 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It's just lovely, and it matches your blog quite well!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like it -- I think it will continue to grow on you. Your plying looks fabulous!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I like it on several levels. It's beautifully spun and plyed. And I do like what the colors did. I'm betting it will be beautiful when knitted.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

You could knit up a swatch.... and post it...

hint hint

;-)

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am pained to think that you had even a momentary dislike for this skein--it is fabulous! Peachy, rosy oranges shot through with pistachio green--what's not to love? :-)

10:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think it's gorgeous! Just my colors.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Manise said...

Awesome spinning and plying! And I love how the colors came out. Yes the green is diluted somewhat, but beautifully Springy all the same. Looking forward to it knitted up.

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's such a gorgeous color! It's really one-of-a-kind yarn.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

I think it looks great. It makes me think of spumoni. I always find it interesting how the plying sets up barberpoling (if that is even a word). Maybe by the end of this year I'll actually have spun and plied my own yarn, though it will look much less polished than this.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home