PumpkinKnits

Monday, February 11, 2008

Goals, Schmoals

About 3 hours after my last post, I drove up to Newburyport for my regular spin night. Spin night now meets in a yarn shop. This is a dangerous thing. I sat with my friends, happily spinning and chatting. About half an hour before the night was over, I looked up over the register and saw a sample sweater. A simple raglan pullover, with striped sleeves, solid body, striped gusset panels at the sides. The stripes were 2 different Kureyon colorways, making one of those magical combinations we've all been seeing in scarves a lot lately.

"What is that sweater?" I asked our hostess.
"Its a shop pattern, its free when you buy the yarn."
"Its really beautiful, could I see it?"
"Sure, I'll get it down for you, do you want to try it on?"

I did. It fit perfectly. I loved it. My friends told me it flattered me. I wanted it. Badly. I held strong in my resolve that I could not possibly start another sweater right now. I asked if I could just buy the sweater (!? - a sign that I was truly bewitched), the answer was no. I need this sweater. Cheryl led me to the wall of Noro trying to tempt me. My will remained strong.

I dreamt of the sweater that night - my poor little obsessed brain. The next morning, I emailed our hostess asking her to put aside the exact yarn for me, I'd be in on Friday to pick it up. Same colors not in stock/discontinued, "why not come in and I can help you choose what colors you'd like?" I did just that. Cast on at noon on Friday, less than 48 hours after seeing the fated sweater. 2 sleeves complete in 48 hours, body begun. I will have this sweater, and soon.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Stripped sleeves and a solid body sounds like a nice way to get the color and stripes without the -ahem - widening effect of stripes.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Obsess much? Looks like you'll have a new sweater for SPA.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the sleeve colors you have there! Even better than the original! Great body color too, I like the less-reddish brown.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps, you should take this quiz:

http://knittersanonymous.com/

11:52 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Wow, that's hardcore. :)

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I guess this one was just meant to be! ;-)

The (new) colors are lovely, btw.

1:25 PM  
Blogger yarnophiliac said...

ooo! Yay for you! I've seen that same sweater there -- love it muchly. can't wait to see the FO.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

YOU, dear girl, are my sweater-knittin' hero!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

I can't wait to see the finished product.
Vicki

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray! I love that sweater. Can't wait to see it on you.

5:46 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

You go grrl!!! Isn't it amazing how fast we can knit when we are uber motivated :). I can't wait to see it at SPA!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

Makes sense to me. The perfect fit, color, etc. It was just meant to be!

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damned evil places, those yarn stores. Especially with pushers ... er, friends right there. But it sounds like a beauty of a sweater and you so deserve it and those colors....

7:59 AM  
Blogger Manise said...

Goals? You are fulfilling your wish ( goal in disguise) of knitting that beautiful sweater. Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it on you! Don't you love Cheryl? She'll never steer you wrong and is such an enabler ;-)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Stunning resolve!

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh so pretty! I've been in that boat, it's not such a bad place, and looks like you'll be done soon!

2:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Goals, schmoals is right. I look forward to seeing it-- it looks like it's going to be great!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Where can I buy the kit?

Only kidding. I think.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home