PumpkinKnits

Monday, July 31, 2006

Secret's Out

I had a great time in Pennsylvania with my brother, my mom, my sister-in-law and her whole family. Reen's baby shower was a really good time, and her family was as welcoming and fun to be with as I remember from when they got married four years ago.

Anyway, you come here for the knitting, so here is my latest finished object that is made especially for my niecephew to be. (props to Laura for the coining of that word).



Project Specs:
Pattern: Prairie Blanket from Oat Couture
Yarn: Lane Cervinia Madrid (50% acrylic, 50% viscose); color 2001; 10 balls
Needles: Denise #7
Notes: The yarn is new to me, I wanted something super soft and machine washable so that this can get some real use. It did not disappoint - it is very soft, and almost chenile like. It was easy on the hands, and has a nice clingy-drape that I think is nice for baby blankets in particular, so they stay on the baby. The pattern was well written and very easy to follow. Itis especially nice because its knit on the diagonal, so you end the blanket decreasing down to the last corner and making quick progess, which is always welcome on large pieces. It is a nice, classic-looking blanket and thanks to its design can be worked in almost any weight yarn. I would certainly knit this again.

The main note I'd like to make about this project, is of a personal and sentimental nature (and perhaps a bit hormone-fueled after being in a house full of women and hordes of babies of all ages at the shower.) I frequently found myself thinking of M&M and their baby as I knit this, envisioning them with their first child and embarking on the fun, scary, exciting, and life changing ride that is parenting. It also was kind of magical noting my own burgeoning belly developing underneath the expanding blanket over the months I knit this, and picturing how the two little cousins so close in age growing and playing together. Their babe will be my first blood related niecephew, and I so look forward to both meeting him/her as well as to watching two very special to me people add to our family.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a very pretty blanket. I love the versatility of the pattern - my "babies" are now moving out of the house and I have a strong urge to knit them blankets so they have a bit of mom around their new homes.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Wow, you are feeling sentimental! And rightly so. What a great blanket and it's so obvious that there was love put into every stitch. I'm sure your niecephew will cherish it for many years to come.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a big project! Beautiful! I have a new niecephew on the way now too, time to get knitting again.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great blanket. I'll have to try that for future neicephew projects.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That blanket just screams "heirloom!" It's beautiful and I'm sure your niecephew will be worthy of it.

My husband and I are both the oldest in our families so we don't have any siblings anywhere close to providing us with neices and nephews, sadly. Your post makes me jealous! :)

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely blanket. I hope when I have kids they will be able to grow up together.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I love that pattern ... I made it last year in Cotton Fleece, and know I will be making it again. It's just so classic.

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely present! Handknit, from the heart. Congratulations!

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home