PumpkinKnits

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I'm knitting again

Last week I semi-regularly picked up the "super-secret baby knitting" project for the new niece/nephew due in Sept., and I was shamed into starting a hat for Dad. The hat was to be for his birthday on Sunday, but I had to resort to putting a skein of yarn in a box instead. (Please note that the shaming was all internal, my father would never make me feel bad for that, apart from gentle teasing.) I've also made a command decision that the koigu socks are just not doing it for me - the colors are too fall-like right now, and I'm going to frog them until the yarn comes up with a better idea for itself. Yes, it is the yarn's fault.

We had a good weekend, with PumpkinBoy turning 3 on Friday. We celebrated Fri. night for both him and my Dad with a small family gathering. If you care about motherly blatherings, you can read my annual birthday letter to him over here. We also had our 18(ish) week fetal ultrasound, and discovered that the babe is a girl! And more importantly, she looks the picture of health. I am a bit nervous about raising a girl, as I was a nightmare of a teenager myself, and I feel that there must be some karmic come-uppance plodding towards me. But I have plenty of time before I get to that part, and the real hard won lessons raising PumpkinBoy to date have been gender-neutral.

No photos today, as I'm being naughty and posting from work.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I raised two boys and a girl in the middle. She was our delightful breath of fresh air between the two boys all through infancy to about age 12. Then WHAM! She wasn't as much fun all the time. Neither were the boys as teens. But it's an intermittant thing. At times, teens are totally enchanting, bon vivants who bring delicious zest into your life. Other times - well, they ain't. Don't get into battles of will and learn to bite your tongue but hold your ground and you'll get through it with a good friend emerging from the dark side.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Hooray for girl babies! You'll do great as the mom to a girl, I just know it. Besides you have me to ask for advice.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

I think you'll do great - because you know what NOT to do, based on you growing up, right?! :) Besides, you can knit cuter things for girls.

10:52 AM  
Blogger --Deb said...

That's right--girls get to wear cuter things than boys . . . and often have hair that's fun to play with! Besides, it's NICE to have a "matched set!"

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, PumpkinBoy!

Yay, baby girl! You'll do great. :) Whatever you don't know you'll figure out.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Moosler said...

Yay, SuperSecret September baby knitting!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Ha! I knew it! I was right, wasn't I!?! I'm a super-genius baby-gender-predicting machine!

I'm so happy for you, I think you'll be such a wonderful mother to a girl.

4:21 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

A Girl!

You'll love having a girl because there are so many more cute girl things to knit than there are cute boy things to knit.

congratulations!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Girls are great ... you'll do fine.

And just so you know you're not alone ... I promised my dad socks months ago and have yet to deliver ... although I did take him yarn shopping for hat materials when he was here in May. I may not deliver the goods, but I've very good at promises.

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home