PumpkinKnits

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Sheep to Yarn

Many of you asked to see the yarn that came of the fleece from my last post. Here it is in a center pull ball of singles, ready to be plied. By the way, am I the only one who is just utterly mesmerized by the pattern that is created by the ball winder? I could just stare at those layers forever. Or maybe I'm just way too easily amused.


And here it is plied up (this color is the more accurate one):


So, from a greasy grimy fleece, we get nice clean fluffy yarn. I will now admit to a bit of spinning heresy - I don't really like spinning Romney. In a couple email exchanges with some of you, I likened it to spinning pubic hair. Yes, it is super easy to spin (I finished spinning this stuff while actually watching Lost last night, barely keeping an eye on my hands, no small feat for a newbie to spinning like me) but the fiber running through my fingers feels wiry and coarse - really the pubes analogy is quite accurate. So I was mightily surprised to discover the resulting yarn is soft and fluffy and pleasant. What magic causes that to happen? This stuff hasn't even been given its final bath yet

The Intermediate Spinning workshop at the Fiber Loft is this weekend, I am excited to enhance my knowledge and get some hands on help for things I feel I've been struggling with. I am also pleased that I will get a chance to meet Cheryl from over at SeedStitch.

9 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

That's some lovely yarn! Are you going to leave it plain or dye it?

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of spinning soft stuff. Some of my favorites are blue faced leicester/angora, angora/silk, corriedale/angora and of course, angora all by itself. Glad you like the yarn even if you didn't like the spinning of it. Are you going to dye the yarn?

8:59 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I like spinning both soft and coarse fibers, myself. Although, the pube thing is kinda gross. Hee.
Have an awesome time at the class this weekend and took good notes so you can share your new knowledge with us.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

Hehe. That analogy makes me giggle a little bit. The yarn looks great; so glad it's soft. Never spun the stuff myself, I'm intrigued now.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? That Romney yarn is soft? I'll believe it when I see it. It's going to take a lot to convert me to the Romney side. I'm looking forward to the worksop too, I'll e-mail you about carpooling!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

Nice spinning! Looks like excellent yarn.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe you spun that while watching TV. :) Glad it came out softer when it was done. Have fun at the workshop!

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that is beautiful. So soft and lovely.

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm constantly suprised at the change brought about by plying. Its one of the things that keeps spinning constantly fascinating to me. And trying different types of wools has been one of my favorite experiences. The wool often surprises me, in the end.

12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home