PumpkinKnits

Friday, January 13, 2006

What I've Been Spinning

As I mentioned the other day, I've been doing a good amount of spinning. Here is a little pictorial for you, as I keep PumpkinBoy company while he eats his cereal this morning.

Blue Faced Leicester, dyed by me. A big (200+ yds) hank of two ply, and two little sample skiens of my attempts to spin a fatter, lower twist single - which is VERY hard to do (at least for me). My hope is to create a bit more singles, and then use the rest in a thinner application and navaho ply it, then use all three yarns in a little "spinning sampler" scarf for myself. Kind of an exercise to see the effects of what each different method has using the same source of fiber.

And we have the finished product of my first Alpaca. A soft and fuzzy two ply. I finished carding my fawn colored alpaca sample last night, but have no photos right now.

And last but certainly not least, some "BunnyCrack" in Dandelion, that I had to get after seeing Cassie's. This stuff is just, YUM.


I have also signed myself up for an Intermediate Spinning class over at the Fiber Loft at the end of the month. I will be happy to get some further guidance and advice from those more experienced than I.

It going to be both dry and in the 50's today, so I'm off to be outside as much as possible - PumpkinBoy is done with his cereal and ready to get out of this house.

10 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

That class will be great! I wish I could find something like that closer to me.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you are making good progress spinning. Experimenting with the sampler scarf is a great exercise.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Your spinning is really gorgeous. Love the colors!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

The colors are fabulous. Enjoy the day!

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun with the spinning class! I am planning to attend the Maine Spinners' Spin Out next month in Freeport, ME myself. I am also trying to get to the monthly spinner's group at my LYS. I haven't found any classes around here, but I am trying to network with other spinners so I can learn from them.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking good! I keep forgeting to put up pictures of my spinning too! I especially like the bunny crack! The color is fab!

Beth (big geek)

12:43 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Love the green at the top! Super purty.

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice spinning, I like your handdyed greens. I was looking at the Fiber Loft schedule just this afternoon. I think I'll have to wait until the March one, though.

2:38 AM  
Blogger the fiddlin' fool said...

Nice-looking fibers! My wife bought me a whole bunch of roving for my spindle over Christmas, so I should start spinning it. I'm pretty decent at spinning but fairly awful at plying. I guess I just need to practice.

You asked about the vest colors, so here is what I am using by letter:

A - Catalina 60% baby alpaca, 40% pima cotton, color 2497
B - Debbie Bliss Merino DK, color 225608
C - Debbie Bliss Merino DK, color 225506
D - Debbie Bliss Merino DK, color 225604
E - Debbie Bliss Merino DK, color 225001
F - Debbie Bliss Merino DK, color 225607

I would definitely get 2 50g skeins each of B through F, and 400g of A, despite the recommendation of the pattern. Also, you are not going to get gauge, no matter what you do, so you'll have to adjust. I'm doing it on a US size 1, which results in my column gauge being too big but my row gauge being too small.

If you do this vest, I definitely want to see pictures!

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your fatter, low twist single actually looks excellent. I have a really hard time getting singles. I've been eyeing those classes at the Fiber Loft, I wish it was just a little closer to me!

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home