PumpkinKnits

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A is for Alpaca

I have joined the year long ABC-Along hosted over at How the West was Spun. I really like this idea, so lets get on with it:

A is for ALPACA:




















On the Yahoo Spinning Group there was a little burst of the giving of free alpaca samples. Lucky me, I got in on it. Above is about 1oz of Pewter Huacaya Alpaca from Alpacas D'Auxvasse.
I also have another fawn colored sample on its way from someone else that I can't remember right now.

This stuff is so soft. It has been a challenge for me to spin, as it is very slippery and seems to need a good amount of twist. I'm spinning on the highest ratio my wheel has, and taking it slow. The above represents about 45 minutes worth of work - slow going. I find as I draft it slips and gets too thin and have had a lot of breakage. It has also been difficult for me to make joins with it. All of this difficulty is due to my inexperience, and I was just finding a groove yesterday when nap time ended and I had to drop it.

**************

In other non-letter-A related news, I have finished Butterfly! She is soaking as I type, prepped to get a good blocking. The buttons are on their way, and once I get them sewn on we can do a little photo shoot. Her completion means I will be winding yarn to start Rogue #2 today. Yipee!

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

You can just see how soft and cuddly that alpaca is...

Looking forward to watching your progress on Rogue 2!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I feel your frustration with spinning the super soft stuff. I keep telling myself I'll get better, so I'll tell you the same thing. Have fun casting on Rogue!

10:50 AM  
Blogger meg said...

Wow! Butterfly! That's fantastic ... can't wait to see it.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A and B(utterfly), both in the same post. I can't wait to see the sweater!

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That second picture if the alpaca is wonderful! I have to get on the ball with my "A" photo! I love yours.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I'm really allergic to alpaca :(
At least I get to "share" it thru posts like this...it looks yummy!

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home