PumpkinKnits

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Long Suffering Husband Socks

I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine which subject the phrase "long suffering" modifies. I knew these took forever, but I am abashed to discover, after poking around my archives for a bit, that these buggers have been on the needles since late June - eek! These are the first item I have ever knit for the Husband. He has a request in for a hat/balaclava he can wear while snowblowing this winter as well.



And of course, I have cast on for another pair `o socks. Shortly after doing so, I was able to finally get a good photo of just how freakin' wonderful tubular cast on is:



That is the top of the sock cuff, in 1x1 rib. I cannot express to you how much I love this technique. It gives the cleanest, most stretchy edge imaginable. If you have not tried it already, you must. No, really you must. This is the site I used for reference, and I think if I can get hubby to cooperate with some photo taking, I'm going to do a blow-by-blow pictorial when I cast on my second one (which, unlike the Husband Socks, will hopefully be less than 4 months from now). No sock-knitter should be without this technique, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

5 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Those socks look great. I'd love to see a blow by blow tutorial on the tubular cast on. That cast is beautiful.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

I just did my first sock with a tubular cast on and I LOVE it!! I have used it before on sweaters but never on socks. I did a 2x2 despite most of my reference books saying it "doesn't work" for 2x2...I used the instructions in Lucy Neatby's Cool Socks, Warm Feet and it looks great! No "twised stitches" as described in the link you posted. I'll post pics as soon as I get some POWER around here that isn't battery power :(

And thanks so much for your support, it makes a horrible situation a bit more bearable :)

9:34 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

That tubular cast-on looks awesome. I just flaked on my socks and decided not to do it. I admit it, I was being lazy.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are great men's socks! I find that most sock yarns and sock patterns wouldn't really be great for men's socks, and those that would be are really boring. Those look wonderful and interesting AND manly, though. What is the yarn?

11:26 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Fabulous edge! Would love to see that cast on blow-by-blow. I've seen tutorials for the technique, but never seen it utilized with such great results as these. Now I definitely want to try it.

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home