PumpkinKnits

Friday, October 28, 2005

Flower Basket Done

The Flower Basket Shawl is complete.

She got bound off and pinned up last night. Here she is in this mornings cloud-filtered sun:

pinned

Here's an artsy-fartsy obligatory window shot:


Here she in in repose amongst the backdrop of the pine needled backyard:


And a little closeup of one of the corners:

pointy goodness

Project Specs:
Pattern: Flower Basket Shawl, by Evelyn Clark for Fiber Trends
Yarn: handspun 2-ply silk from Claudia, roughly fingering weight(?)
Needles: Denise #5

This came out pretty damn good for a first shawl, if I do say so myself. This is a lovely, rhythmic pattern and I think that helped with my beginner-ness (the only other lace I've done is Branching Out). It has enough repeats to not really get boring, and has the nice resting row of all purls on the wrong side. I could see myself knitting this again. I had been a little worried about the variegation in the yarn making the pattern get lost, but I think it worked out pretty well. The overall effect is not too distracting, I don't think.

I got 15 repeats in I believe. The ever growing rows began to eat up yarn pretty quickly, and I got skittish about having enough to complete a 16th. I got out the old scale an weighed and guesstimated, and I was quite literaly dealing with one gram of leeway as far as I could calculate. A clever knitter would have strung a lifeline through the end of a pattern repeat and just knit on and see what happened, but I have not been feeling to clever this week and decided to play it safe. With hindsight I see I could have gotten one more repeat in, but I am happy with the size.

************************
On a completely separate note, I go to Dorchester tomorrow to meet up with Adrian of HelloYarn. I get a spinning lesson and a wheel to rent for a few weeks. I am more excited than words can say.

12 Comments:

Blogger msubulldog said...

That shawl is most gorgeous! And your first? Amazing!

12:42 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

very beautiful! The colors are gorgeous. I don't think the pattern gets lost in the varigation at all. Excellent job!

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful shawl! I love the colors. I was hoping to get some of that yarn, but I see it's hand spun. Lucky you!

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I think the variegation works well. I like the artsy-fartsy window shot best!

2:13 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Erin, that shawl looks AMAZING. And it looks like it's made out of *real* yarn, not my slubby, um....variable....handspun. Nice work!

2:22 PM  
Blogger CjSachiko said...

Oh wow! Great job!

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Yarn is in Dorchester?!? Who knew? Well, for starters you, obviously...

Love the shawl. Great job! Wear it with pride.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is gorgeous!! So, do you recommend the pattern to beginners then? I have been knitting for about 6 months--lace under the belt: branching out, and some feather & fan socks.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

wow, your shawl is so pretty, I love the color, very inspiring

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really really beautiful! Have fun with the wheel! You're going to love it.
Everybody sing, and another one gone, and another one gone, another one bites the dust!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one of the prettiest FBS' I've seen! The color is so pretty, and it doesn't distract from the pattern. Lovely first shawl.

7:02 AM  
Blogger the fiddlin' fool said...

Wow! Great shawl! It's inspiring, in fact. Perhaps I will go knit one, now...

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home