PumpkinKnits

Monday, May 09, 2005

Busy weekend

This weekend was a festival of finishing, firsts and fun - I feel so magnificently productive.

Finishing:

Branching Out Posted by Hello

Project Specs:
Pattern: Branching Out, Knitty Spring 2005
Yarn: unknown 100% wool from recycled sweater
Needles: Denise #8
Notes: first lace project, and also first "knitting looser" excercise. I would count both as successes!

Firsts: I acutally knit, washed and dried a swatch! What project merited such dicipline from this very undiciplined knitter? Take a look:


squeeee! Posted by Hello

I've been dying to make Rogue ever since I saw it. It is exactly my style. I feel ready now. The swatch you see is Cascade 220, color 9338, a nice medium heathery green. After washing and drying this swatch is SPOT ON GAUGE. How cool is that? I even swatched, washed and dried again in the round (as instructed - this piece is knit both round and flat) and again, got gauge. Do you even understand how challenging it is for me to be so methodical and patient? Please don't ask what would have happened if I had not gotten gauge on either swatch and had to re-swatch-wash-dry...would I have remained diciplined? Who knows. Either way, this was a very big step for me. I'm very proud of myself.

Fun:

candy Posted by Hello

Hand dyed yarn by me! Both are half skein of LionBrand Fisherman's Wool, left ball is done with Kool Aid (grape, ice blue raspberry and artic green apple) right ball is McCormick food coloring, hand blended til I thought it looked right. This was a fun, messy project. Not quite sure what I'll do with these, maybe socks or some felting project. Its something I've been wanting to try and will do again, maybe with RIT or some other dye, as I didn't get the depth of color I was hoping for.

6 Comments:

Blogger MiniLaura said...

The scarf is beautiful as is your hand-dyed yarn. I can't wait to see what you do with the yarn--the color combinations are perfect.

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of methodical knitting. Once you get here, you cannot leave ;-).

Scarf looks great, and looking forward to seeing your progress with Rogue.

11:46 AM  
Blogger CjSachiko said...

This is just too funny of a coincidence...I'm on the verge of finishing my Rogue in the same exact shade of Cascade 220! Have fun! Rogue is such a fun knit. =)

2:21 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

your hand dyed yarn is beautiful!

what size needles are you using to get gauge with the cascade 220? I, too, have been wanting to knit up a rogue but wasn't able to get the gauge with the yarn I have. I tried swatching awhile ago, and now am ready to try again! I like cascade yarns, and would love to have an excuse to use them again!

4:20 PM  
Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

Kristen - I got gauge with 8s on the cascade 220. I'd not worked with it before and its very nice - and from what I've seen of finished Rogues its a popular choice and the cables really pop with it. Webs (yarn.com) still has it on sale....

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors of your hand-dyed wool! It certainly would make beautiful socks.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home