PumpkinKnits

Thursday, August 07, 2008

Gradient Experiment Complete

My gradient dyed roving experiment is complete.

To recap:
  • dyed a small (2oz ish) roving from dark to light in the same color.


  • split roving lengthwise
  • spun each half on its own bobbin
  • chain plied each bobbin, resulting in
  • 2 balls of 3ply sport weight yarn each going from dark to light


  • knit one sock (due to small amt of yarn) in 4 row stripes starting one ball from the dark end, and the other from the light.



This was really fun, and the process has my mind whirling with all the other things you could try with a roving dyed like this:

  • Knit one sock continuously from dark to light and knit its mate to match or to be its reverse
  • Certain shawl patterns would look lovely knit out in one full sweep of the gradient
  • Use two different color gradient rovings to create more funky striping possibilities for socks or other projects
  • Use the gradient in a fair isle type pattern against a solid, or against itself going in the opposite direction like my test sock

I don't know why I'm obsessed with this right now, but the possibilities are practically endless. I plan to dye up some more of these in 4oz batches and maybe a few 2oz-ers for mixing and matching colors and putting them up in the shop to see how they do.

16 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That is really cool! There are a lot of socks being knit in this manner recently, but none that are with handspun. Inspiring!

4:40 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

That's awesome but perhaps more than my feeble brain can grasp!

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh...my head just exploded. Those are WONDERFUL.

5:44 PM  
Blogger punkin said...

I want to try this. Seeing it knit up is inspiring.

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know why you're so taken with it - cause it's just good old genius! And fun. Good job!!

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally cool -- check out Julie's shawl (stoneview.typepad.com) -- how great would that be in handspun!

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the effect!

5:49 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

I love this! I have all sorts of ideas for how I could play with this effect.

7:30 AM  
Blogger margene said...

How cool is that!!?!!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Beautifully done.

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooooooooooooooh...!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Anne P said...

Yippeee!! I adore what you've done with the technique - and thanks for blogging about it so we all could share in the fun! :)

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could spin a decent sock weight let alone what you have just accomplished!

Way to go!

beth (big geek)

1:45 PM  
Blogger pacalaga said...

Oh wow, I got all excited and emailed this link to a bunch of friends and forgot to comment and tell you how fantastic that looks.

9:14 AM  
Blogger k said...

Turned out really great - love the sock. Excited to see what else you come up with!

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool!!

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home