PumpkinKnits

Friday, January 04, 2008

Room for Growth

Below is my first skein of handpun from my Rose. This is the kind of yarn I've been trying to spin for the past two years - namely a true sock weight, tightly spun, and I did it with ease on this wheel. I am beside myself with happiness. This wheel is fast and smooth and has the ratios I need to get enough twist without feeling like I'm running a marathon. The fiber is Spunky Eclectic superwash "Storm Clouds" picked up at SPA last year, 4oz/400yds/2ply.




I expected the new wheel to help me improve, but I wasn't allowing myself to think a simple change in equipment would make such a marked difference. You know, like when you see a gorgeous photograph and think, "Well if I had a snazzy camera I could do that." Equipment helps, but a fine camera doesn't a great photographer make. The same holds true with the wheel, and its interesting for me to see that I had indeed outgrown my old equipment, and I am simply delighted to have so much growing room ahead. This yarn is far from perfect, but its the best I've ever done towards well done sock yarn and its all I can do to wind it up and cast on right now - must focus on my goals from last post.

That said, apart from completing my big knitting projects before they turn the one year mark, I do hope to be able to do more regular spinning. Apart from those wonderful 3 months of maternity leave I had at the beginning of 2007, I really only spun once a month at my local spin group. So I've joined National Spin More Month. I like this group because you get to set your own goals.

In my head I was thinking I would commit to spinning every day of January, but looking at the month ahead I know that is an impossible goal to reach. So my target is spinning 2 times per week. I've designated Thursday as a regular spin day for me (a work day, but I get to stay home Fridays, so I can stay up late spinning if I choose) and I will squeeze at least one more day in a week as time permits. Hooray!

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

Your spinning looks great. I'm so glad that new wheel is working out for you.

10:36 AM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Beautiful skein!!! Congrats.

10:36 AM  
Blogger carla said...

Fantastic! I'm working toward sock yarn, myself, but have much farther to go.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, your spinning is beautiful and so is this yarn!

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, you and Rose are a good fit. Yay! That yarn is gorgeous.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I know I've been gone, but what kind of wheel did you get? The new yarn looks fabulous!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Mindy said...

Your handspun looks awesome.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Anne P said...

Wonderful, sensible goals. And oof! ...the sock yarn looks scrumptious!

3:54 PM  
Blogger knitmd said...

Congratulations! Very nice stuff!

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it knit up, and I love the color! Best? You can now justify a spa purchase this year.

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, I never get my handspun to look like this! One time it´s like wire, the other time it´s fluff-stuff... Well done!

2:57 AM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

Oooh, I really like the yarn. There is always this huge balancing act in looking at yarn. Am I liking the fiber, the grist of the yarn, or am I just mayflying to the color. It looks like it will work up beautifully into some gorgeous socks.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You and the Rose were clearly meant for each other. That sock yarn is fabulous! :-)

And I wish the Lendrum had giant bobbins like that. I love my wheel but if I could change one thing about it, that's what it would be.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I'm definitely a believer in the right tool for the right job. It's why it's a good thing to just spin on whatever pops up in front of you, just to see.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice spinning! I'm glad the new wheel is working out so well for you. You definitely outgrew the Louet and it must be such a good feeling to see your spinning skills reflected in your handspun.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home