PumpkinKnits

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

I Think I'm Going to Make It!

The Morning Glory shawl continues:




This has been a measuring and math intensive project for me. You see, Anne's lovely pattern calls for about 900yds of DK weight on #9 needles. My handspun is roughly sport weight, and I have just under 700 yards, 112grams of yarn total. To compensate for the difference, I'm knitting this on #7 needles.

In order to make sure I have enough yarn to make the seconf half, I've been using my scale a lot. The hem edging, plus the transition panel of the mesh chart (of which I knit one less repeat than called for) used up roughly 16grams. The pattern calls for 4 full repeats of the main chart, each of which is has consistently used 7g, and then a last repeat that ends 2/3 of the way through. By my math, that means 16+(7x4)+5=49grams per side. That should mean I have enough to do the full set of repeats on each half, leaving me 13grams of yarn to make up for any spinning inconsistencies. Phew.


11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your math is right! That's a beautiful shawl and I hope to knit one someday!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I hate it when the run out of yarn worry happens. Good luck!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I hate math, but that shawl is worth the computations.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Phew is right! This one is a cliff-hanger. Thirteen grams: gulp.

6:25 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

sending yarn juju your way!

7:27 AM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

i hope you have enough yarn too! it is simpley beautiful in handspun.

8:10 AM  
Blogger pacalaga said...

It's gorgeous. I do the math, and then I second-guess myself, like at night the knitting-math gremlins are going to come out and take away a few ounces here, add a few stitches there, and make it all wrong again.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! I'm having flashbacks to my seraphim! Let's hope you fare better.

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the yarn makes it to the end!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Alisha said...

It is looking great!!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry about running out....I have one ball in that same dye lot that you are welcome to have :-).

Morning Glory looks fabulous!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home