PumpkinKnits

Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Sweater a Day

I got to wear a hand knit sweater to work for all three of my work-days this week. Rogue, Ariann and the newest - Hourglass.




Project Specs:
Pattern: Hourglass Sweater, from Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Yarn: K1C2 Angora Soft, Color #635 (main color) and #257 (contrast hems)
Needles: #7 Denise
Notes: I has been worried I wouldn't be able to wear this, but was pleasantly surprised that I can. The yarn is 45/50/15 Nylon/Viscose/Angora and has great drape, however I'm still not positive the yarn was the right choice - after one days wearing, it is already losing its shape (a lot like cotton would, I imagine). Perhaps it will just be one of those that really needs a washing/reblocking after wearing? I do like how it fits when its "fresh" though. The fabric itself is soft, but there are spots where it is scratchy - I'm guessing where the viscose is heavier or something? No idea, but I don't have terribly sensitive skin, so no real complaints from me.

The contrast hems are a stray from the pattern as written, but I liked the way it looked on other Hourglasses out there, and I am pleased with how they look on mine. I did knit about 6 extra rows on the neckline, and added one extra decrease round to combat the common complaint of too wide a neckline as written. I like the way it turned out - still collarbone bearing, but enough coverage to hide the bra straps. Speaking of which, this sweater quite obviously highlights the fact that I need to invest in some good undergarments! Eek.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look great in it! I love the red contrast with the blue! I've had yarn for this marinating for awhile, I might finally have to knit it up!

9:39 PM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

I love the contrasting hem! What a great sweater. :)

10:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is lovely. I love the blue and contrasting red. And you thought it was to soon to wear something fitted--silly, you!

6:24 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

It does look quite good and I like the addition of the contrasting hems. Get thee to Lady Grace. ;-)

6:48 AM  
Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

That's a beautiful sweater. I love the contrast that you added!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Love the piping! Love! LOVE! You just made me burn with desire to knit an Hourglass with beautiful piping on on it. A pink one with brown piping! Or a green one with pink piping! That would be so much fun. :-)

And you look *amazing* for a woman who just had a wee pumpkin. Seriously.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great....and so do you for having had a baby not so long ago!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

WOW those contrasting hems! Fantastic! Also, it's a very flattering sweater and you look wonderful!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Maureen said...

Lovely, Erin! You look like a model in one of your knitting mags. Kudos!

11:05 AM  
Blogger margene said...

One of the nicest Hourglass' I've seen!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Very, very pretty. The piping is an excellent touch.

You look fabulous, especially for having a baby such a short time ago.

7:16 AM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

the contrasting hems are brillinat and were the forst thing i noticed (and liked) about hourglass here! i love that color of red with a pale blue or green. very nice and you DO look great!

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that looks so great! I love the little contrast detail, and the fit is perfect!

3:45 PM  
Blogger MiniLaura said...

The sweater is very beautiful. I've always admired the design, but I like much more with the contrasting trim. It really makes the plain sweater pop.

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, it's beautiful! I'm sorry it gets out of shape with wear. It's too bad, since the color is smashing and it fits you so well.

10:26 AM  
Blogger jen c said...

hi - just found you through ravelry (yay!). i really like the contrast hems, your version has just clinched that decision for me. it's beautiful - congrats!

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home