PumpkinKnits

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Distracted, Distracting, Distractable

Whenever I get more than 2 projects on the needles, I start feeling flighty and distractable. That is why I sidelined the red Trekking socks in favor of Mom's socks to begin with:

I am making decent time on them, and thanks to the luscious STR, they are never too far from my hands. In the above photo you see evidence of my only complaint against this yarn - the balls always-always fall apart on me! Its almost as if the yarn is too round and rolls off itself - anyone know the real reason this happens and/or how to prevent it?

My second project is my Celtic Dreams, you know - the sweater that'll help me be camouflaged when I'm on my deck?

I was trucking right along, knitting the back when project number three flew into my lap:

I'd been eyeballing Anne's progress on her latest design, realizing that I had the perfect yarn for it. You know, one of those patterns that just grabs you and you know you must knit it, and you totally can't wait to just cast on? So I was utterly delighted when Anne took me up on my offer to test knit it. My version of her Glory Morning Wrap is still sprouting here, so go look at hers and see it in all its, um, glory. It demands all of my undistracted knitting time now - so the Celtic Camouflage sweater is waiting patiently, with the Mom sock as my "I can watch the kids and knit a little here and there" project.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ooohhh! I can't wait to see the finished reults of the testing. The design looks lovely. Speedy knitting!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I always knit from the outside of the yarn cake. So when I 'm done I still have a nice tight little ball of leftover yarn. Oh and on a side note, I love your blog...I've been a loyal lurker for quite some time.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. All my yarn balls fall apart exactly like that, so I'm probably not much help. I always re-wind after I finish the first sock (and then of course it has fallen apart again by the end of the second sock).

Everything looks lovely! I'm with you on feeling a bit discombobulated when I get too many projects on the needles, though.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Yeah, mine falls apart like that too. I also usually re-wind my skein before the second sock so I start off with something more compact.

I like to have several different projects going so that I have some variety! But for your sake, I hope you're able to get your WIPs down to a more manageable number :)

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Anne-shawl in handspun is going to be in-freaking-credible. Wow!

And "Celtic Camouflage" cracks me up. ;-)

11:49 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

I've done some test knitting for Anne and had wonderful results. I'm sure you will, too.

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the idea of you being invisible on your own deck. Hidden from the dangers of the great suburban outback.

And good call on that yarn for the Morning Glory!! That will be gorgeous!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your yarn is a nice match for Morning Glory!

1:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, you get to test knit Anne's new pattern! How lucky! It looks like your handspun will be a perfect match for the pattern.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really want to make Anne's Morning Glory Wrap too! It is so beautiful and your yarn looks perfect for it:)

I am in the STR club this year and it is the first time I have used their yarn and my ball slid apart too. I thought maybe I just let it wind too loosely, but maybe it isn't just me!

Also, love the spinning from the previous post.

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your shawl in that handspun is stunning! Anne just let me know that you had put this up and I have to say that I just LOVE it! What a beautiful job you did spinning that roving!

10:04 AM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

all three look totally great to me! i especially like those socks . . . i have yet to knit with STR, but maybe some day . . .

6:01 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

You have some great things on the go there!!!

That is indeed the perfect yarn!!

8:07 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

yummy morning glory :-)

i wind all my yarn onto toilet paper rolls (elegant i know) then i pop them onto a paper towel holder for knitting, no yarn twisting or falling apart.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home