PumpkinKnits

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Breaking the Rules

First thank you all for inflating my ego with all the compliments on both the sweater and my shape post-childbirth. I could write a paragraph on how this 2nd jaunt into motherhood has totally erased all my hopes of ever looking like I used to, but I'm not quite upset enough by that to expend the energy, so I will just say a simple "your compliments made my day".

On to the rule breaking! I have a little internal rule that allows only one sock in progress at a time. I am, after all, not an insanely fast sock knitter. When my (mostly non-sock-wearing) mother requested a pair of socks, I had a great excuse to break the rule. The red ones you see below are the Trekking socks that I cast on just 2 days before P-Girl arrived, and have been languishing for months. Mom happened to ask just after I had done a little stash enhancement from Blue Moon, and she chose some blue-licious lightweight in Midsummers Night. Needless to say, these are flying off the needles, I could knit this yarn all day and night.


Also in that photo, you see the seldom-seen and quite elusive Pumpkin-swatch. To add to its rarity, this one is actually washed and dried. I freakin' abhor swatching. I have no idea why, as my rational side knows it saves all kinds of time and anguish. My impulsive, instant gratification side often wins swatching battles and I start and rip a sleeve over and over til I get gauge (or don't). Yes, I realize this method actually wastes more time than a swatch would, but I'm nothing if not irrational when it comes to getting my knit on.

In this case swatching paid off. I have come to the conclusion that my current super- cabley-craving will be fed by Celtic Dreams. I got spot-on gauge for that, and would have to go mucking about in too-small-needle land with this yarn to get it for the couple A.S. projects that were in the running. The yarn, by the by, is Classic Elite Skye Tweed, in a color that I like to call "My Deck":

(color most accurate in this photo)

16 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

I knit Dale's cabled vest from Classic Elite skye tweed and I really enjoyed working with it.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wishing you speedy sock knitting so you can get to your next project.

8:56 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

Skye Tweed is beautiful stuff. I have high hopes for your sweater. :-)

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's my deck too! It does look like a lovely yarn.

9:29 AM  
Blogger msubulldog said...

Ha,ha,ha--your yarn name made me laugh out loud. :) It really is quite nice--deck color and all.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe, "My Deck". I'm not crazy about swatching, but I do it pretty religiously now for anything larger than a hat.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Hee hee! Great colorway name :)

1:07 PM  
Blogger Manise said...

My Deck...Hee. Nice socks and swatch. Looking forward to seeing them unfold on the needles.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

WOW that is some beautiful yarn, right there. Let us know how you like working with it?

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some really purdy sock yarn.

Love the colorway name ;-) Unlike your deck though, you won't have to worry about the yarn mildewing!

1:21 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I resist swatching because it smacks of memorizing my times tables and parsing grammar. I want to KNIT, goldarnit, I don't want to DRILL.

Of course, when I drill I ultimately have more time to knit, because I don't spend as much time in the knit/curse/rip/reknit cycle you describe. Sigh.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Mini said...

I like the "deck" color. Will look very nice in Celtic Dreams. :)

6:50 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Nice swatch! Will look very nice as a sweater.

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I learned about swatching the hard way....I must swatch has become my new mantra even though I hate swatching.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Your color name made me laugh out loud. Once your sweater is done, think how well you'll blend in to your surroundings when you sit on the deck.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Alisha said...

Love the socks you have on the go there.

Love your sweater from your last post too!

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home