PumpkinKnits

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Somebody Stop Me

Confession time. About a month ago , I asked all of you wise-in-the-ways of fleece for advice. I got some wonderful advice, a whole batch of goodies from Adrian to play with (which has been quite fun). Since that time I have also purchased.....wait for it.....3 fleeces. I don't know how it happened, but it did, and my husband is afraid I'm going to divorce him and marry a shepherd. Either that or ask to raise sheep in the back yard - I'm not sure which would unsettle him more.

My first purchase was a Coopworth/Wensyeydale/Lincoln lamb fleece which I don't currently have handy photos of - it has long wavy locks and is pretty filthy and somewhat difficult to clean, but when cleaned up its just so nice. I've been playing with getting that clean and dyeing some locks (a whole post on that one later). I have more than enough work ahead of me, just from this one fleece.

Then, Adrian sent me a link for some recommended all-purpose nice fleece on ebay. I resisted and just admired from afar. Shortly after that, Felicia posted about the new fleece listings at Treenway Silks, and I utterly caved and had to get one, I've been wanting to get some chocolately brown fleece anwyay. However, I couldn't stop thinking about that nice ebay fleece, and I went back and checked and they had posted some more, and I could "buy it now" for only $20 for 4 pounds of it.

Two boxes were waiting for me when I came home last night:
On the left is a Polwarth/Cormo fleece from Treenway Silks, and on the right is my Freesian fleece from ebay. They are both just so gorgous I can't even do them justice.

Closeup of the Polwarth/Cormo

Closeup of the lovely soft Freesian

So here I sit, with more than 10lbs of fleece, not to mention the smattering of all the good stuff Adrian gave me, as well as prepared top/roving of all kinds. I think I can safely say that I am done for fiber purchases for the forseeable future. Stop laughing, I mean it.

11 Comments:

Blogger Carole Knits said...

I'm not laughing. Really. I'm not.

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You put this up just to torture me didn't you?! Because mine haven't arrived yet!

Seriously though, they look absolutely lovely and I bet you can't stop touching them.

And that thing about purchases in the forseeable future? I'll pretend I didn't read that so you're not embarrassed when you start buying things.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

I keep telling myself the same thing. But then I haven't any willpower, maybe you'll do better!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am so pleased for you. But I hate to break it to you, with all that fleece you will probably spend a some more money on a drum carder. Or an extra pair of handcards for dh to learn how to card for you. Pheww! That will be a lot of work. I have two fleeces that I will get to work with this spring. I am saving up for a drumcarder from Adrian. These hobbies are getting too expensive for me.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Famous last words . . .

9:30 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

What Theresa said!

Y'know, they have these cute little sheep that are about the size of dog - you wouldn't have to mow the back yard anymore... just sayin'...

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, crap, you just made me want more fleece!

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha... It hurts, stop...

Seriously, though, you're as bad as I am. With the yarn and fiber, I mean. I'm not getting any fleeces in the foreseeable future. And I mean that as much as you do. ;)

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! You are outa control! Lucky! ;-) Some of that fleece looks like little kitty's all curled up! You have your work cut out for you, but I can't wait to see the results!

beth (big geek)

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's how a lot of us now lost under the mountain of stash started. Of course, if your spouse doesn't want you to raise sheep, you can point out that rabbits fit quite nicely in the backyard and only increase your stash by a few pounds or so a year. Hee heee!

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not laughing. ;-)))

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home