PumpkinKnits

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

S is for...

Spinning class Sucked. Oops! We're not up to the letter S yet? My bad. Cheryl and I went to the intermediate spinning workshop at The Fiber Loft on Sunday and it was awful and pointless. To give you and idea of what we're talking about, we were taught the long draw by way of the instructor doing the long draw and saying "See, here's how you do it!" We were also taught to spin from the fold in the same manner: "OK, fold it over, and there! I'm spinning from the fold, now you do it!" While she seemed to be a very experienced spinner, she was just not into teaching, leaving class members struggling while ignoring them completely as she chatted on and on. I don't think she gave hands on help to a single person there - Cheryl was off her seat more times to help a fellow student with her Traveller than the instructor was.

However, it was worth it in that I got to meet Cheryl, who is very good company. She picked me up on her way down from NH, and and I really enjoyed getting to know her. It was fun to have someone to talk to about fiber and spinning and life in general. I think we learned more about spinning from sharing our own personal experiences on the drive than than from our instructor.
Thank you Cheryl for the very good company.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for your review. I was feeling so bad that I missed an opportunity for a spin class, but I'm glad I didn't miss anything. I am sure you two could have taught that class. I think I may know who the student with the Traveller may have been; if its her, then she took the beginning class with me. Thanks for the insight.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Martha said...

I ALMOST signed up for that class after you mentioned it, and now I'm so glad I didn't! I was trying to learn the long draw, too, and hoped they would teach me. But apparently I've already picked up more off the Internet. (Interweave has a pdf tutorial, that, while I still don't fully have the idea, helped).

11:17 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

How about C is for crappy? So sorry that the class was a disappointment. At least you and Cheryl (C is for Cheryl?) had a good time getting to know each other.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that stinks. Sorry you didn't have a great time, but I'm sure Cheryl was worth the trip. ;-)

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha! That's exactly what it was like! Not even a "move your hand over there". What a riot!

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man... you know, I've had craptastic in my head for the last two days without a good use for it. Your class was craptastic! I wanted to go to that class, too.

Glad that you had fun with Cheryl, though!

BASD meeting is tomorrow, hint hint. They'll be teaching how to make boucle!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

ooooo, that bites. Such a let down. At least meeting Cheryl made kept it from being a complete waste of your time.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home