PumpkinKnits

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Big Spinning

My spinning time has been completely consumed with the first batch of my "big handspun sweater project". The fiber fates had me fall into a fleece at last spring's New Hampshire Sheep and Wool festival - a stunning Romeldale (the non-mutant version of CVM) in the deepest brown-black. I dropped it for processing that same day, and I've had it sitting in a box waiting to be spun all summer and fall.

The plan is for a sweater - my first adult-size handspun sweater. I sampled and settled on a 3ply, woolen spun of course, and a little on the chunky side of worsted weight. My first skein is 5oz, about 300yds and measures 11WPI. This is some seriously boing-y yarn, stretchy but firm and nice and soft. I feel like I need to carry it around like a lap-pet it has so much life to it. The second photo, while not great is included as it shows the true color (at least on my monitor).



Next up, I'm interjecting some color and taking a break from the brown to spin a couple batts I made for myself with some leftovers - a nice minty/seafoamy/green heather with ribbons of white silk. Yummy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anne P said...

It is gorgeous! That's one of my favorite breeds to work with but yeah... boingy. :)

11:41 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

That's quite an undertaking. I know you will do a great job with the spinning!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The sweater will be lovely! Are you thinking of something simple and stockinette, or something with more texture? I know how you love the cables :)

2:03 PM  
Blogger Rebekkah said...

That is some seriously gorgeous yarn!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Seanna Lea said...

That's a wonderful shade of brownish-black, but I could see why you'd want a color break with a whole sweater's worth of spinning to do!

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum! That's going to be a luscious sweater.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home