PumpkinKnits

Friday, September 07, 2007

I Knew I Wore them for a Reason

It was downright chilly yesterday morning. I had gotten us all safely out of the house and we were headed to daycare and work, when I had to pull over so that PumpkinBoy could toss his cookies in the parking lot of Wild Harvest. We were close enough to Miss Dizzle's daycare that it made sense to drop her and then head back home, with only one child to deal with for the day. My feet were freezing when I got home, and I popped on my new Sockapaloooza socks and I got a little twinge of glee, remembering how nice it is to wear handknit socks.

PumpkinBoy got progressively worse throughout the day, and when late afternoon had him rolling off the couch in a ball of agony before violently throwing up for the 3rd time that day, we were off the to pediatrician's office, with me realizing it was now too warm to be wearing socks, but whatever, who really cares about sweaty feet when your son is hurling his guts into his sister's carseat as you mutter curses at the lights that aren't changing fast enough.

After an exam that had him jolting thru the roof when his lower right quadrant was palpated, I got to carry my (still vomiting) boy across the way to the ER. Dan and baby Dizzle met us there while we were getting triaged.

I am happy to report that 6 hours later, after a dose of antiemetic and a couple bags of fluid, PumpkinBoy was perking up and said his tummy didn't hurt any longer. Oh, and he was hungry, and why do you smell like cookies, Mommy? (I had popped out to buy diapers to change the baby and snuck a granola bar snack before I returned).

As our very relieved but bedraggled family stumbled out of the ER back through the waiting room, feeling a little delirious with fatigue and relief, I spied a woman sitting knitting on a sock. "A sock knitter!" I blurted clumsily and kind of just stood there like a moron. She cautiously stated, "Yes." I flipped my bright orange Croc off and held my right foot up while balancing the baby on my left hip to show mine off: "I have some too - handknit socks that is". A pause, kind of brief but still a little awkward, she's staring at my foot, then her face melted into a smile and said "Oh those are just lovely. Nice work on the cables" (they're not cabled, but I can she why she'd think so given her distance and the shock of some loony in the ER showing her her foot).

I'm sure the other ER patrons were a little mystified, and maybe she was too, but in the end, she looked like it was perfectly ok for another knitter so do what I'd just done. I wished her happy knitting, oblivious to the fact that if she was sitting in the ER, she probably wasn't too happy for any number of reasons, and continued out the door.

So if by chance any of my readers were sitting knitting a lovely bluish-green sock in the Beverly Hospital ER last night around 9pm or so, I apolgize for getting my knit-freak on while you were no doubt worried about a loved one or perhaps yourself. I hope whatever brought you there had you stumbling home happy and relieved some hours later.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger pacalaga said...

You know, sometimes it just takes a little something to ease the worry and pain for a minute. It's all good. I'm glad PumpkinBoy is better.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor PumpkinBoy...I am glad that he's better now!

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought my days were stressful. Hope PumpkinBoy completes his recovery this weekend.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

Aww, poor PumpkinBoy (and poor PumpkinMama, too!) I hope he feels better soon.

I've knit socks in an ER before. A couple of times, as a matter of fact! If I was the other knitter, I'd have been pleased to have someone take my mind off whatever brought me there in the first place ...

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that PB is better -- that whole ER thing is NOT fun at all. Have a restful weekend and no socks -- it's suppposed to be very hot!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Manise said...

And here I was thinking the poor boy was on his way to the OR for an appendectomy! Glad it turned out much better than that! You crack me up with the sock show-and-tell.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man! Poor you! It just sucks to see the little ones so sick. Luckily his turn for the better came in the nick of time. Great sock story too. I'm sure the look of delirium on your face after the long day had nothing to do with the lady looking at you a bit strangely. :)

11:05 PM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

It's so hard when they are sick like that. I'm glad he's better and it wasn't anything more serious.
I'd be thrilled to have someone show me a hand knit sock.

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to read that little PB is feeling better and it wasn't his appendix. That was my first thought too.

The sock story..........priceless!

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that PumpkinBoy got better. That's pretty scary. Wonder what his appendix is doing.

When I brought the Etherhubby to the ER last year to evaluate leg swelling, I brought my afghan to weave in ends. No one said anything to me. I got them all woven in and then had nothing to do.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least the day ended well. ;-)

I sincerely hope it wasn't viral. That's all you guys need... (ugh)

11:33 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I knit on a sock during Young'un's last ER visit (febrile seizure), and it led to a lovely discussion about LYSs w/his doctor, conducted over my child's drowsy doped-up body. A bit surreal, but it gave me something to hang on to, you know?

Glad PB is feeling better, and hope the bug stays the heck away from the rest of you.

9:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those ER runs are no fun, but at least that one turned out ok. Last time I had to do that was earlier this year, and my "baby" was 23 years old at the time (24 now). So you think it ever ends? Nope. Mommyhood continues even when the kids become legal adults. Thank goodness for socks on the needles! Your knit-freak would have been a welcome distraction for me.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear of your stressful ER visit. We had our yongest in for a head injury, and they weren't being very quick about getting her in, until she sat up in my lap during the triage and I grabbed a trash can so she could throw up in it. That got them moving fast!
It's so scary when they are sick and we can't do anything for them. I hope he is back to normal.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Oh, how scary for you. I have been to the ER way too many times. I wish I had the foresight to bring my knitting. Once I had my son (concussion from falling off skate board)wait for me to fix my
coffee-to-go.LOL Glad things turned out OK.
Vicki

6:57 PM  
Blogger Mini said...

poor little Pumpkin Boy! What on earth did they say he had that had him so violently ill...good move dropping off her highness.. two sick kids would've been nightmarish.

I think whoever was knitting socks at the ER probably understood what you were going through. :)

7:01 AM  
Blogger PurlingPirate said...

So glad he is doing better!

Sometimes in the ER what we need is a connection to something "other". Something not sickness or illness or worry or scary, something that is calming and homey and comforting. So I'm glad you stopped and showed off your socks! And I'm sure she is too.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness. I hope PumpkinBoy is doing better now. I was afraid when I first started reading that it was a ruptured appendix. Ouch. Are you all doing better now?

5:42 AM  
Blogger vanessa said...

ah the joys of motherhood. i'm glad your son feels better!

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ER (and violent vomiting, for that matter) is never fun, glad he ended up fine! I was at a doctor's appt once and knitting on a sock in the waiting room. An older woman took an interest in what I was doing and starting talking to me about knitting and I got totally disoriented/discombobulated. Maybe it's the whole doctor's office thing or who knows, I think it's great you showed her your sock. :)

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home