PumpkinKnits

Monday, August 13, 2007

How Not to Finish Things

If you've been reading here for a while you probably know that I rarely have more than 2 or 3 things on the needles at once. I tend towards serial knitting, only allowing myself to start something when a WIP has been completed. I do this for a couple reasons, with the primary one being I like to actually finish things and when I have long stretches of time where I don't complete a project I start to get antsy and impatient.

The WIP count in the sidebar accurately accounts for my 3 main projects, two of which are very long term (shawl and sweater) and one of which has become long term because of some odd mental block against them (socks).

In an effort to give myself the satisfaction of finishing something, I started in on a baby sweater last week. A quick, easy project that I could start and finish and feel accomplished about. I cast on for Daisy with some WoolEase from the stash. I knit up the body over the course of a several days - even my "quick" knitting isn't too quick lately. As soon as the body was complete, I realized I hadn't enough yarn to finish the sleeves, and that even if I did, I hated the piece - the color was wrong, the yarn was yucky, and in the time I had taken to knit it, I could have easily finished the socks that I've been gestating for almost as long as it takes to build another human. I took the needles out of it and threw it in the garbage.

Then I cast on for this.


Much better. Its amazing what loving a pattern and a yarn can do for your productivity. Please ignore the fact that my socks could have been completed in the time I've spent on my "instant gratification" project, I sure am trying to.

Project Specs:
Pattern: EZ Baby Surplice, from Spring/Summer 07 Vogue Knitting
Yarn: Handspun, Chain plied "Cricket" BFL from Hello Yarn
Needles: #5
Notes: I think I still like the looks of the traditional EZ Baby Surprise Jacket, but this is a nifty pattern too. Buttonholes all along the bottom edge, so can grow/shrink accordingly to fit the baby. This yarn is some of my best handspun to date, and I will be sad to see it go. But its going to a wonderful new baby boy, whose Mama is the closest thing to a sister I had during my formative years, so special yarn is most certainly called for.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater is just lovely!

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm impressed. Handspun, and beautiful FO, practical. You are forgiven for the socks.

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Adorable. I love the green variations in the yarn.

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are not helping my startitis. That is about the cutest thing EVAH!

9:48 AM  
Blogger pacalaga said...

You SPUN that? It's amazing. I love the way it stripes on the sweater too. That baby boy and his mama are lucky. ;-)

9:58 AM  
Blogger Manise said...

Wicked cute! And using handspun too! Nice colors.

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so pretty! I just gifted my sister with my Cricket handspun this weekend. And no, I don't regret it!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I love this variation on the BSJ! I was in the same place last week, and I feel so much better after finishing my baby sweater, too. Glad it worked for you!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Sometimes it's better to just knit something fun, and then get back to work on the others later. This looks great.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's adorable! And in homespun -- how special!!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Oooh....I love the colors in that sweater and it is such a sweet design. Very pretty!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

I love how the Cricket colors are so clearly differentiated with the chain-plying. BEAUTIFUL! I'm sitting here with my Cricket in front of me, calling to me, "Knit a baby sweater out of me! See how wonderful it would be..."

2:09 AM  
Blogger Ang said...

that is such a pretty cardi, where's the pattern from, it's just the thing I'm looking for.

3:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I admire you for being able to stick to just a few projects at a time, but some days warrant deviation from that norm (not that I would know, since I'm a ten-project-at-a-time knitter).
The baby sweater is adorable, and I'm sure the recipient and his mommy will appreciate the special yarn and love that went into making it.

3:48 PM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

that is the cutest baby thing i've seen in a LONG time! simple and interesting, i love it.

5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute! I bet it's nice and squishy, too. Lovely lovely gift.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Love it! I hope mine ends up looking as nice.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home