PumpkinKnits

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Running out of Time

I've been blog-hibernating since finishing Ariann. However, there are fibery things to tell you about. PumpkinGirl and I jaunted up to Portland last weekend for a few hours of friendship and fiber at SPA. It was wonderful to see old friends and meet some new ones too. P-Girl seemed quite at home admidst all of her honorary Aunts and was happy to let me shop and visit as I needed wanted to. One of these years I will be able to spend the whole weekend and not just the day.

On kind of a whim, I've started The Hourglass Sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I'm still not sure if this is going to work for me at all, but I continue to knit it. The reasons I am dubious about it are twofold.

  1. I am not entirely convinced I should be knitting a somewhat form fitting sweater with the current state of certain areas of my body.
  2. The yarn I chose, K1C2 Angora Soft, is making a super drapey fabric. Normally this would be a fabulous thing, but given my concerns listed in item one, this thing might end up clinging in all the wrong places.

Despite these things, I am trucking along with the realization that I may finish it and never wear it, and I am OK with that. The plain stockinette is very soothing and I am really just enjoying the process on this one. If I end up pleasantly surprised, then I'll call that a bonus.

Speaking of hourglasses, this week marks my last week of maternity leave. I imagine the next month will be utter chaos as I adapt to being a working mom of two. The logistics of getting a preschooler and an infant up and out of the house each morning before 7am, ready for an hour long commute puts me in a cold sweat. I have been blessed that P-Girl is such an easy baby, as I've been able to continue, and even increase, my fibery pursuits practically uninterrupted while on leave. Heading back to work will most certainly slow me down, but someone's gotta put yarn in the stash food on the table.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

All of you will definitely adapt to a routine. I thought I could never do it, but I managed to do it all when I worked out of the house. Having a good baby is the best. Good luck with going back to work.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Manise said...

It's awkward initially, but then it kind of falls into place. Will be thinking of you.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once you get past the transition, I'm sure you'll be able to manage beautifully -- and fiber pursuits will always squeeze themselves in there somewhere. Good luck!

5:36 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Process is not always a bad thing. The sweater can always be donated. I remember that yarn from Webs.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't blame you, for the last few months I just want to knit a sweater. One can only hold off for so long, eh? Good luck with the transition!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I love that contrasting color turning row, awesome idea! How have the other balls been, knot-free?

11:27 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

It was tough to go to work with two, but it works out. You'll be great!

I just finished my second Hourglass, and am thinking of a third. It's such a soothing pattern to knit and a really flattering one to wear. And, truly, your body does eventually emerge from the post-maternity repositioning. Based on the Ariann photos, you look fantastic and don't need to worry about Hourglass's form-fittingness. But I remember buying a blouse online in my size and being shocked. SHOCKED. that I couldn't button it, even though my weight wasn't out of control. These days, I wear that blouse all the time, and everyting is back in its pre-pregnancy proportions.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe your maternity leave is over already. I hope the transition back to work goes as smoothly as possible. I have a very deep respect for moms who juggle kids and a full time job. I'm confident that you'll do just fine.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Beth S. said...

I vote that you forge ahead with the sweater. The day will come when it will fit you well, and you'll be glad you persevered!

Good luck with the upcoming change. If you could do it with one, you'll be able to do it with two. After all, you're an experienced parent now. :-)

1:15 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I think the drape will be lovely.

12:56 PM  
Blogger queen said...

Over something silky and loose, like a camisole or blouse, this will be perfect.

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home